harmonic balancer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8432lifted

Reaction score
Front of crankshaft.......

im assuming from that answer it was a dumb question. well here comes another one haha
is the crankshaft vertical or horizontal in the car.
the reason im asking is i want to switch mine out and all the videos i can find show it horizontal on the right side and the only way to get to it is through the wheel well is this right?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are looking at FWD vehicles and in those and yours the cranks are ALL horizontal. The main engines you will find with a vertical crankshaft would be on a pushmower.

Now the FWD application is a Transverse engine, the truck or RWD is a Longitudal engine.

Yours has a Balancer on the front of the engine towards the front bumper....

8432lifted

Reaction score
do i have to remove the radiator and fan to get to it? im assuming yes. i was going to flush my radiator out this weekend so i guess that will be a good time to get to the balancer and timing chain.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No on radiator, yes on fan/water pump.......

8432lifted

Reaction score
i tried removing the fan shroud last weekend but it has a top and bottom piece that are connected by a long bolt does that have a nut under it? if so how do i get to it?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IDR a long bolt, my shroud has 3 short bolts each side connecting 2 halves and 3 across the top...... Do you have a pix?