Headlights will not turn off?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denali132

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I washed my Denali and I was drying it and I noticed my headlights were on, so I figured they were still on because I have it set to stay on for 1 min. when I exit. So I turned the headlight knob all the way to the left which will turn all of the lights off but they stayed on, just the headlights not the rear taillights or parking lights. I have had HIDS in for about 6mos. so I was thinking it had something to do with them since all of the other lights were off. When they installed they ran the power wire to the battery, I disconnected that and they went off and stayed off after I put the wire back on so I was happy but when I turned the lights back on the would not yurn off again. So I unplugged the wire where it plugs into the headlight and they went off but when I plugged it back in they stayed on, so I just left them unplugged for last night and I had a dead battery this morning so something else must have still been running. It was dead yesterday also so I jumped it off one of those power jumpers/compressor things couls that have done something to the lights? When I plugged the lights back in today they worked fine for a minute but now they are out completely. When I unlocked my doors a little while ago one of the lights came on and went off and they both starting flickering are now off all together. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be? My the ballasts fried and need to be replaced? I have no idea when it comes to this, it sucks because I have no headlights for now but all other lights work.
Any help I would really appreciate it, sorry I wrote so much but was trying to explain what happened.
Thanks

Nnaboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow thats a problem for you! All I can think is that maybe something blew or maybe a relay disconnected beuase it doesn't make sense how the headlight just won't turn off. I don't know what to say but that the HID's probably caused it!

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put the stock bulbs back in and see if she still acts up, if so then keep the stock bulbs in and remove any trace of the HIDs and play dumb at the dealer. Have it covered under the 3 year 36000 mile warranty.

Denali132

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that you mention it Shark I ran my Denali through the wash yesterday do you think thats it? How do I fix it? I had them installed so I don't know alot about it. I know how to get to the ballasts and I know how to take out the headlights. Any info on how to fix would be great!! Good idea also 07 Suburb but when they put in the HIDS it looks like they had to put on new ends is that right? I got back the box that my HIDS came in and they had the factory bulbs in the box thats it. Do I have to put on new ends for the factory and if so how and where do I get them?
Thanks for any and all help

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you have HIDS hooked up to the battery, you connect one side from your stock headlights to the HIDS. ALL that does is tell the HID system to turn on and take power and to turn off and stop taking power. Im sure that little wire is your issue, Order a new harness, that should fix it. And when you order the new one, put it under somthing, so its not 100% exposed..

BTW, the ends of the bulbs are not the issue, Infact you cant change them, if you do you destroy your system, thats standard on any kit, your shop did not install them that way.

Tmc2

Reaction score
Did anybody figure this out? Same thing is happening tonme after driving in a snow storm. When I popped the fuse box off, it sounded like a hissing noise. Please help!