Help me understand price '99 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onadraw

Reaction score
New guy here. I want to buy a Tahoe but I'm confused about what I should pay.
When I look at KBB for price information it seems too low to believe even for 16 year old vehicles.

Here is an example:
http://www.kbb.com/chevrolet/tahoe/...pe=private-party&persistedcondition=excellent

It says a '99 Tahoe with 130k miles in excellent condition should be priced under $2800. I haven't seen any for sale at that price so, What gives?

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KBB isn't the only source for vehicle prices
KBB is the source for BUYERS who want to know the lowest value of a vehicle

other sites, like Edmunds and NADA will give a more accurate representation of price, especially when you are talking low miles (and 130k is fairly low on a Tahoe)

You will notice that if you plug in 180,000 or 220,000 miles the value doesn't change, because no matter what the vehicle is worth far more than what you are paying in parts alone

There are also big considerations for value when talking 4wd vs 2wd, LT vs LS, if it has the third seat, condition, and modifcations/replacement parts, most of which KBB wont account for

Nada @ $4,500
http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/1999/Chevrolet/Tahoe-1-2-Ton-V8/Utility-4D-LS-4WD/Values

Edmunds at $3,000-3500 private or as much as $4500 retail
http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/tahoe/1999/tmv-appraise-results.html

I didn't really put in much in the way of options either, that also effects price

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also the Selecting Tradein/ Private party/ Retail are 3 different values...

Proxa

Reaction score
I also need help with the pricing. I am looking at a 99 2d tahoe z71 for $7,900. It has a lift, tires, sound system professionally installed with all receipts provided. I cant get a good read on what a truck like this is selling for and KBB/NADA does little to help.

Here are some pictures:

http://images.dealercarsearch.com/Media/11053/5770741//635636280765320285.jpg

http://images.dealercarsearch.com/Media/11053/5770741//635636280770789000.jpg

Also, during the test drive it shifted hard. I have never had any luck with GM transmissions, and I'm afraid it may be going out. The thing is, I read that most people have the same issue and the problem never gets worse, or better.

Any advice would be appreciated.

tahoe nick

Reaction score
I paid 4G for my 97 with 125k. Excellent interior, in dash DVD stereo (no amp or sub) ,stock lift,with bald tires. Since then I've put 2g in it and it still doesn't look (or sound, probably )as goods this one. Point is,if you like it,and you got it, then buy it!

Proxa

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I am one of those people who has buyers remorse before I even buy what im looking at. Any information on the transmission?

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also need help with the pricing. I am looking at a 99 2d tahoe z71 for $7,900. It has a lift, tires, sound system professionally installed with all receipts provided. I cant get a good read on what a truck like this is selling for and KBB/NADA does little to help.

Here are some pictures:

http://images.dealercarsearch.com/Media/11053/5770741//635636280765320285.jpg

http://images.dealercarsearch.com/Media/11053/5770741//635636280770789000.jpg

Also, during the test drive it shifted hard. I have never had any luck with GM transmissions, and I'm afraid it may be going out. The thing is, I read that most people have the same issue and the problem never gets worse, or better.

a good lift costs a lot, same with a good sound system, but their aftermarket value usually isn't much

the transmission should shift hard under hard acceleration, its actually a feature, if it shifts hard during light acceleration then it is probably an issue

If the lift kit is done wrong, it can be bad for the transfer cases, and be bad for the CV joints, IE increased wear and tear

Grey2dr

Reaction score
price

Just like Tahoe Nick said. If you like it and have the moneyget it. I paid 5g, for mine, all stock super clean. I shopped around for about a year, to be honest I liked this one so much I would have been willing to pay a fair bit more.

Good 2dr or even 4dr Tahoes are getting hard to find. Must of us looking for them are looking for them because we really want one. It would take a fat check to get mine away from me. They are almost like collectors cars, there is a market for them.

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the Tahoes, everyone is right especialy the 2 door ones, to get a nice one I went all the way to texas since all the ones here in Oklahoma were all dogged out and still came with a price tag of 3500 and up.. found mine with a non working fuel gauge, bald tires, and bad breaks for 4500.. got it home and after fixing all the bad stuff and adding fender flares, tinted windows, and a caddy center console I have been offered more than double what I have paid and still turned it down... it has all the options I wanted and was in the exact color combo I wanted.. I have also done minor tweaks like replacing all the bulbs in the stereo so it lights up like it did when new, added the larger front seat head rests on the rear seat, added newer z71 emblems and newer z71 wheels. I just love them..

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0119.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 10

Grey2dr

Reaction score
looks good

Looks good, weel done. Strange how wheels from newer trucks almost look better on older trucks. I am cleaning up a set of older 15x10s that I picked up off of Craigslist. Had to go old school to fill the fenders on my fiberglass running boards / fender flares.

Icebru

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm new as of today. I bought my 1999 Tahoe with 150k that's a 2dr 4x4. It was a former Forestry service truck. It's a base 5.7 but it was maintained perfectly. The body, interior and most everything is in great shape. Now the bad, it's forestry service Green! I paid 2k and felt good about it. The only issues I've had is I had to replace the waterpump and the radiator and switched it from dexcool to prestone green. 6 months ago I started to have a clunk in the trans like the torque converter is locking and unlocking in overdrive. Shops want 1800$ to rebuild it so I'm getting a used one for 600$ with a 3yr 36k warranty.

I would love some input on a overworked topic. I want to rebuild my 5.7 sometime soon but I can't seem to find a definitive answer on motor swaps. What other GM motors can I put in it as a replacement? I'm in Calif and I hear I can put in any other motor as long as it's a newer model with all smog, how about a stroker?

There isn't a better vehicle out there for my needs than my truck, I plan on being buried in it. I do need a few things if anyone has this stuff around. I want a middle seat between my buckets, door Panels for a base crank window in tan.

Thanks guys,
Icebru

Wayne67vert

Reaction score

The 4L60E trans is known for having hard shifts. There are a couple of valves that wear and cause it. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=chevy%204l60e%20transmission%20shift%20solenoid%20replacement

Jungle Rooster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ultimately here's EXACTLY what a truck is "worth": WHAT SOMEONE IS WILLING TO PAY FOR IT. At least that is what it's worth monetarily. Many trucks hold sentimental value, or intrinsic value....and in those cases it might take more than double whatever the Kelly Blue Book is to just get a seller interested in parting with their "baby". I wanted a NICE 2000 Limited, but couldn't find one I really liked here in California....so I flew to Arizona to pick one up. Yes, I probably paid too much, but I don't care. It's MY BABY ! (sorry, honey...I'll be right there to clean the dishes, babe....)

Last edited: