help with steering box removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96tahoe2dr

Reaction score
I have a 96 Tahoe 4wd and I recently took off the steering box to replace the pitman arm. when I pulled the steering box out the whole shaft came with it. when I went to put the shaft back on I heard something hit the ground and it was a small rectangle metal piece. it had grease on it and I have no clue where it goes. does any one know where it goes? Please help

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you unbolted it still stuck together from being bolted together for so long. Just saying that when I have removed the steering gear I always unbolted there and separated.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See my previous post. If you unbolt the gear box and drop the box and shaft as one piece then it can only go at the top area of shaft.

96tahoe2dr

Reaction score
I didn't hear it gal until I took the shaft off the gear box and when to slide the shaft back into place. I didn't unbolt anything uptop either. It just easily slid off with the gear box even though I had the bottom one unbolted

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The steering shaft is 2 pieces, one slides up inside the other, the metal tang is a spacer IIRC.... mine is missing, oh well IDC... :)

96tahoe2dr

Reaction score
so it goes into the grove on the top side of the shaft where the bottom side slides up onto the top side?