Help With Sub Box...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigE

Reaction score
hi everyone. i have two 12" subs that i want to build a box for and i have never built one of my own before. i have looked around on the net and cannot find an easy guide or plans for a box. is there anyone on here that has experience with this type of thing. if there is i was wondering if anyone could come up with a box plan for me i would be much appreciative.
the subs i have are the Kenwood KFC-W3011, i know they are nothing amazing but work well for me. they are currently in a small sealed box each in its own chamber. i was wanting a ported box with 2.0 cubicfeet per sub wich is what kenwood recommends. dont know if a seperate chamber for each or one common chamber would be better. and whether subs up or facing back or down firing would be better, the same for the port. i leave it up to you experts on here. here are the specs for the sub. thanks again for any help you guys have to offer.

Attachments

• kfc-w3011.jpg
    kfc-w3011.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 23

tann808

Reaction score
WrenchGuy, Great link!

I use this also
http://reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html

I'd recommend that you have both subs in a single camber because then you'll need only one port.
Are you running a single amp to both subs? if not, you'll have to gain match them.

As for the placements of the sub, it's really personal perference.
With my current setup (18" Fi BTL fully loaded) I have sub up port back but that's so I can hit better numbers on the Term Lab.
but if you're talking musical, i'd do sub and port on the same side. Please keep in mind that, these are my own personal theories but I do hit better numbers with port back and the box placed about 6"s from the rear.

Also, what does Kenwood recommmend for tuning (ported)?

Honestly, it's all in the installation and box. a good box can make low costing sub sound good but a bad box can make a high end sub sound really bad.

Last edited:

BigE

Reaction score
i am running a single mono amp to both subs wired into 2ohms. it doesnt say what tuning frequency is recommended on the spec sheet.
so if i did sub up, port back it would be a bit louder versus sub and port facing back?

tann808

Reaction score
First off Bass is totally personal perference. If you were asking me.....and I'm speaking only for myself;
loud = SPL numbers (high tuned box)
Low = SQ/Musical (low tuned box)

If you have sometime and money, I would build more than one box. I have to constantly build and tune boxes to get what I want achieved. The first question you have to ask yourself is do you want loud (are you metering your system) or low/musical?
Then I would suggest emailing kenwood and asking them what they recommended for a ported box to be tuned at.
Then you can go from there, I used to run Digital Design subs for SPL and they recommend tuning at 40hrz, no matter what sub or size but I always tune lower.

Good luck and I hope I helped.

BigE

Reaction score
i want loud but not at the sacrifice that it sounds like my music is missing something...if that makes any sense. is there a way i could get a good balance of both? i would just have a shop build me one, but the audio shops around me arent what i would call trustworthy. so i figured i would do it myself and do it right. only thing is i have never done it myself. so sorry for any stupid questions or suggestions. would a box tuned somewhere between 30 - 35 hz be good?
your info is definately helpful. thanks

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tune in the low 40's at the enclosure minimum. Basically what the spec sheet says. I can't read the damn thing...lol We could get real technical with Parameters and all but just build a spec box from the sheet.

You could tune lower if you listen to mostly rap and boom boom but a little higher will get you through more genres. This also depends on how low your other drivers are capable of.

Use a cut sheet from the link and chamber each woofer if max output is not your goal. If 1 woofer fails at least you can use the other.

Once you build this box you will learn from it and want to make them all the time. Then you can start questioning why I have 2 BTL 18's in a 16 cube box meant to be musical....lol

I listen to just about everything but Country. My system doesn't like that flavor.

Last edited:

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO, want a good mixture of both, do larger end of manufactures recommendation ...sealed.

sirloin22

Reaction score
Hello all....I'm new to the board and I've had a number of enclosures in my Tahoe. I initially started off with 2 JBL GTO1202D's (12's with 2ohm DVC) sealed off in a 2cube dual chambered (4 cube gross) enclosure with a JBL GTO600.1 mono amp (600WRMS x 1 @ 2ohm) The sound was nice and tight. It would get rowdy when necessary. I then put the same setup in a ported enclosure tuned to 34 hz. The switch was a complete night & day difference. I'm basically ported for life now!! My sub output is whatever I want it to be at the moment since I have full control of my setup at my fingertips. I'm R&B smooth at times and I can definitely shake up the block and bounce Civics around when I want....lol. When an enclosure is built to the manufacturer's specs (sealed or ported) you will gain the optimum performance from the sub according to what your music tastes are Below is a pic of my current set-up...2 RE Audio SX15 (2ohm DVC) in 8cube gross (4cube dual chamber) tuned to 34Hz powered by 2 Sundown Audio SAZ 1500D's (1680WMRS @ 1ohm). As mentioned before......smooth when I want it to be and rowdy when necessary or provoked!!!

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ported will be louder given the same power, at the expense of a larger enclosure, peaky at or around tuning. But, several other factors come into play, overpowering, playing below tuning frequency, woofers unloading, amp not having infrasonic filter,etc.
But add the power to a sub in say 1.25 sealed, you will have good SQ (with the correct woofer) , more space available, and overall better musical output.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another vote for ported

Another vote for ported, my sub manufacture also recommends ported….

DSC05010.JPG

DSC05018.JPG

DSC05016.JPG

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all....I'm new to the board and I've had a number of enclosures in my Tahoe. I initially started off with 2 JBL GTO1202D's (12's with 2ohm DVC) sealed off in a 2cube dual chambered (4 cube gross) enclosure with a JBL GTO600.1 mono amp (600WRMS x 1 @ 2ohm) The sound was nice and tight. It would get rowdy when necessary. I then put the same setup in a ported enclosure tuned to 34 hz. The switch was a complete night & day difference. I'm basically ported for life now!! My sub output is whatever I want it to be at the moment since I have full control of my setup at my fingertips. I'm R&B smooth at times and I can definitely shake up the block and bounce Civics around when I want....lol. When an enclosure is built to the manufacturer's specs (sealed or ported) you will gain the optimum performance from the sub according to what your music tastes are Below is a pic of my current set-up...2 RE Audio SX15 (2ohm DVC) in 8cube gross (4cube dual chamber) tuned to 34Hz powered by 2 Sundown Audio SAZ 1500D's (1680WMRS @ 1ohm). As mentioned before......smooth when I want it to be and rowdy when necessary or provoked!!!

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

you must be on diyma,roe or ca.com with that fischer customs box . ;)

welcome. btw did you donate?

sirloin22

Reaction score
you must be on diyma,roe or ca.com with that fischer customs box . ;)

welcome. btw did you donate?

Thanks for the welcome. I'm on the SSA Forum as well but I don't post too much over there......just a comment here and there and a pic to support vendors whose products I purchased/installed. I'm gonna get pretty cozy around these parts as it's a bit more focused over here (Tahoe-Fiends Unite:yesnod:) A donation to this board has been made. Feel free to check out my Welcome thread in the General Discussion section for more pics.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does look like the Audio installs are starting to swell up a little bit more. Cool.

I like posting mine here the most cuz more people can relate to the install.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I'm on the SSA Forum as well but I don't post too much over there......just a comment here and there and a pic to support vendors whose products I purchased/installed. I'm gonna get pretty cozy around these parts as it's a bit more focused over here (Tahoe-Fiends Unite:yesnod:) A donation to this board has been made. Feel free to check out my Welcome thread in the General Discussion section for more pics.

im starting to get real focused on the ca board :crazy: addicting selling and buying all this stuff. im building up for my install on a 03 duramax CCSB im buying this month at some time and swappin it for the hoe :cryin: but i need a diesel :D now dieselplace.com is becoming an addiction, the forsale/wtb section over there is incredibly active :yesnod: more reason for me to blow money :thumbsup: