HIDs - Electrical Problems Arise... HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajnavo61490

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an 04 Z71 Tahoe and had cheap HID kits on it. They went out, so I ordered new, better ones from Retrofit Source. After install, I started my truck and had a range of problems. My rear windshield wiper won't stop wiping (notch turned to off), Check 4WD Error Message, P-Brake Light on, and my cd deck turns off for like 10 seconds then comes back on randomly. My friend who wired the kit said he wired the kit the same as the old ones and had no problems till now...

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post the model number of the HID kit so that others can research it for you? Not sure how a HID kit is wired up and whats involved but maybe theres a wire crossed somewhere or it simply doesnt like the new setup.

ajnavo61490

Reaction score
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=160

This is the guy who installed the stuff for him. I have never seen this sort of problem happen on any car I have installed HIDs for...

This HID kit is not the culprit of the issue because I wired it identically to the old setup and these are VERY high quality.

But there is one thing I overlooked that may be at fault. When installing his driver front fog light, I removed a grounding point right by the fog light to mount the ballast, and then re-tightened the ground on the frame. I may have not had it tight enough or something so I just took it off and tightened it back on again. Same result - the rear wiper will be on no matter what if the lights are on. If you turn the lights off, it will stop... until you hit the brake pedal. If you're foot's not on the brake and the lights aren't on, don't turn on the right signal blinker... this also causes the wiper to run for about three cycles.

I'm gonna clean up that ground and reattach it to see if that is the problem. That really is the one reason I can see for it to have this problem. I did not mess with a single other electrical component besides this one ground. I'm a studying Electrical Engineer and I know that the truck wouldn't be freaking out alone from changing the headlights...

To fix that ground... back to the drawing board.

clkelley

Reaction score
I am not as well versed as you sound like you are with those installs, but it definitely sounds like grounding issues.