High mileage truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pmurph

Reaction score
I'm really thinking about buying a 97 LT 4dr, 5.7. The truck has 242k miles on it though! :eek2: What do you guys think? It looks really clean and the owner claims it's been taken care of and runs like new. He also claims there is a new pitman arm and idler arm. What should I look for and am I just asking for trouble buying this truck?

Thanks.

And yes, I've been searching and reading. I'm not new to forums, just decided to post to get some insight. I'm a first time car-buyer and very mechanically savvy.

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would bring it to a shop and ask them to take a look at it and see if they find any issues with it. Also if it's an original engine and tranny

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 226,000 on mine. Original engine, but not trans. If it runs nice and looks nice, it's probably fine, but remember... It's a used truck with lots of mileage on it. Something WILL give up the ghost. You just gotta go in knowing.

pmurph

Reaction score
thanks for the reply guys.

I know if I go into this, it's going to have problems. That's inevitable. I just want basic reliablility. I'm sick of fixing my car and want a daily driver for around town, and a couple road trips. I know the trucks can go a long time, so I'm just trying to determine if 240k is too much to even gamble with.

pmurph

Reaction score
$3695 for the one with 242k.

I found another with 174k for $4200 though. I'm going to go look at that one today. Honestly though, I'm not trying to get into a whole lot. Does anyone feel like these trucks are money pits? I really like them.

Thanks

pmurph

Reaction score
lol if that wasn't hideous I would check it out more. But it's a little far and very ugly to me. Both of these ones I found are black and I like that.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like that color combo, but the scratch marks or whatever the hell they are, no thank you.. dude dont buy that one with 250thous on it for 4 grand!.. thats nuts.. youd be putting in alot more money into then if you found one with less miles say for 5 grand.. idk.. whatever.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea talk about break-in point. lol.. im not saying these trucks are sh*tty by any means. but i think you could find a better truck for the money.. keep your eyes out, something will come buy.

XLDENALIXL

Reaction score
yea mann hes rite dont buy it!! even if its a nice trucdk, 1500- 2500 TOPSS for that many miles

Beef

Reaction score
Anything you consider buying over 200k I would get a compression and leak down test...

txredneckmedic

Reaction score
I just bought one at a sheriffs auction with 256k on it for 2900....4x4 leather LT model ect. I couldnt be happier. I put some money into fixing some stuff and she runs great. This past weekend took my old horse to its new home in a old heavy trailer. 1200lbs horse and probably a 3k trailer and i couldnt even tell they were back there.