Hooking up a trailer to a 4 pin round

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jungle Rooster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I need some advice. I have a 2000 Limited that has the 4 pin round plug for hooking up the electrical for towing. I guess I could spend some money and have it converted over to the 7 round blade type, like my '03 Escalade has.

So my trailer has the 7 round cord, and I'm trying to find the right adapter to convert it to the 4 round. Yes, I understand I will only have driving lights, blinkers, brake lights, and hazards, and no ability to activate the electric brakes that my trailer has. It's a small 6'x12' trailer that is only hauling some drums and amps for the band, so no big deal. On those trips that I need trailer brakes for, I can always use the Escalade, like I used to. Does anyone know of a SINGLE adapter that will plug into the 4 pin round on one end (into my Limited) and on the other end have the 7 blade round end that my current trailer cord would plug into? I did get two cords from U-haul that would probably work in series, but it's a lot of extra wires and such. Just thought someone on here might have the same situation I have. Thanks for any imput !

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the exact same setup, but basically here is what I did

I bought a 4-pin replacement plug kit, cost about $7, took the female end of the plug (that plugs into my 4 pin) and cut and stripped the wires at about 6"

I wired that into a 7-pin replacement receptacle, and voila, a 7-pin adapter

Now, if you add a brake controller (which will give you the trailer braking capability) you can then run that wire back and wire it into the 7-pin adapter as well, and you have trailer brakes

Jungle Rooster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
picture.php

Ice- is this kinda what we're talking about? It's what I'm going to try. I understand I won't be able to activate my trailer brakes, but that's okay. I can use my other tow vehicle for trips requiring that.

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
picture.php

Ice- is this kinda what we're talking about? It's what I'm going to try. I understand I won't be able to activate my trailer brakes, but that's okay. I can use my other tow vehicle for trips requiring that.

Pretty much, but you can simplify the connections by soldering/heatshrinking the 4pin round into the 7-pin socket

Would cost you about $150 to buy and install a brake controller, but will be far safer and easier on your hitch, brakes, tires, shocks, etc

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Brake-C...-2-0&sr=1-2&ymm=1996:chevrolet:k1500+suburban

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brake controller was $70 and I mounted a 7pole into the bumper with a drill, a cutting tool and some time/ patience... He should have the harness to the back, just because there is only a 4 pole there doesn't mean the other wires don't exist in the loom....