How many miles can you realistically put on 2007 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowvolt

Reaction score
My wife and I are considering purchasing a 2007 Tahoe LT3. It has 119000 mile on it. How many more can I expect to get from this rig?

Thank you.

Grouse1040

Reaction score
I had a neighbor who traded in the vehicle at 250k and had no issues. Mine had 135k with no problem until a few weeks ago when check engine light came on - it turned out to be an issue with the cylinder management system which
caused damaged to the valve train - I continue to try to research the problem - seems there is some history of the issue but gm has not issued any technical bulletins on the problem. Has anyone else experienced the issue.

IceStriker

Reaction score
I bought my 07 Tahoe used and it has 163k mostly highway miles currently. Wear and tear things to address now, such as ball joints and bearings but I expect at least 200k.

IceStriker

Reaction score
How long have you had you tahoe? Being that I just purchased mine with 160k and was given no maintenance history, im not sure what I can assume was maintained/fixed and what is soon to come. Betwwen 150-200k usually brings a fuel pump failure. My Avalanche fuel pump went out at 174k. I do need a wheel bearing and front brakes soon but otherwise the thing runs awesome, quite engine with no ticks pings etc. It does burn 1.5 qts every 2k miles which is apparently common for this model.

lowvolt

Reaction score
Well as of the start of this thread we had not yet purchased it. But, last night we took the plunge and did it.:peace: I am extremely happy with it. My wife? well lets just say shes not thrilled about the 119,000. I tell her it's just a number, but she isn't buying that. Can I ask what you guys are getting for MPG? Thought it was supposed to be like 14 or 15. Not seeing that. I am getting like 13.

IceStriker

Reaction score
Well as of the start of this thread we had not yet purchased it. But, last night we took the plunge and did it.:peace: I am extremely happy with it. My wife? well lets just say shes not thrilled about the 119,000. I tell her it's just a number, but she isn't buying that. Can I ask what you guys are getting for MPG? Thought it was supposed to be like 14 or 15. Not seeing that. I am getting like 13.

Just reminder that on these trucks 200k is equivalent to 100k on others. You have lots of life left. However, I know how reasoning with the wife goes. When I get down to it I just say ive done all the research and please trust my judgement. Anyway, mpg's? Im getting 15.5 mixed driving. Be sure to throw in a new air filter and keep in mind that extreme weather will hurt your mpgs. Enjoy and dont second guess yourself. Buyers remorse tends to kick in but dont let that steal away the positives of your purchase. They really are great vehicles!

lowvolt

Reaction score
Just reminder that on these trucks 200k is equivalent to 100k on others. You have lots of life left. However, I know how reasoning with the wife goes. When I get down to it I just say ive done all the research and please trust my judgement. Anyway, mpg's? Im getting 15.5 mixed driving. Be sure to throw in a new air filter and keep in mind that extreme weather will hurt your mpgs. Enjoy and dont second guess yourself. Buyers remorse tends to kick in but dont let that steal away the positives of your purchase. They really are great vehicles!

That is a good response. Thank you. I will show her this and hopefully it will ease her mind. I am not having buyers remorse. I absolutely love the Tahoe.
Mixed driving? Not sure what you mean.
Is there anything I need to do to get the engine to drop cylinders or is this an automatic thing that it does?

lowvolt

Reaction score
The wife is curious as to at what mileage are people trading these in? On average of course. And are they still getting good value?

IceStriker

Reaction score
The wife is curious as to at what mileage are people trading these in? On average of course. And are they still getting good value?

I would say on average people trade mostly between 60-100k since that is when warranties expire but most of those people do want the hassle of fixing things here and there. Personally I do not mind having to fix something here and there if I can purchase a pre-owned vehicle at 1/3 new. For me, I plan on keepng my 07 with 160k for over 200k. Check values out there. Currently my vehicle with 160k is valued around $18k. To answer your other question, mixed driving means pretty equal city and highway miles. Also, your vehicle automatically cus down to 4 cylinders. If cruising on the highway you may even notice increased exhaust noise when this happens. Push your vehicle info button until you get to the display of realtime mpg and next to it reads V8 or 4 to keep you updated. Hope this helps!

lowvolt

Reaction score
I would say on average people trade mostly between 60-100k since that is when warranties expire but most of those people do want the hassle of fixing things here and there. Personally I do not mind having to fix something here and there if I can purchase a pre-owned vehicle at 1/3 new. For me, I plan on keepng my 07 with 160k for over 200k. Check values out there. Currently my vehicle with 160k is valued around $18k. To answer your other question, mixed driving means pretty equal city and highway miles. Also, your vehicle automatically cus down to 4 cylinders. If cruising on the highway you may even notice increased exhaust noise when this happens. Push your vehicle info button until you get to the display of realtime mpg and next to it reads V8 or 4 to keep you updated. Hope this helps!

Very Helpful. Thank you!
Now someone please tell her how ridiculous she is for wanting her 2004 envoy back. lol. :p

Flash1976

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Tahoe, 4 x4, with the 5.3 engine. Best vehicle I have owned. Right now I have 376,000 miles on it, same engine, and one tranny. I am not afraid of taking it anywhere. Always changed the oil on schedule, but use Mobil 1.

IceStriker

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Tahoe, 4 x4, with the 5.3 engine. Best vehicle I have owned. Right now I have 376,000 miles on it, same engine, and one tranny. I am not afraid of taking it anywhere. Always changed the oil on schedule, but use Mobil 1.

Awesome mileage! Curious as to how many miles you got out of your original tranny? Any maintenance performed on your tranny's? Flushes etc? Thanks!

Flash1976

Reaction score
The orginal tranny died at 167,000 miles. The radiator had become plugged externally with bugs, and it ran hot for a while. I pulled the radiator and had AC coils and raditator cleaned out. There was not much air flow. But the tranny started slipping bad, so I had it replaced. I think the last straw was being stuck in line at the border in Mexicali Mexico. The outside temp got up to 132 F!! And my temp got really hot.

I also added a very large tranny cooler to both my Tahoe and Yukon. Here in the CA desert, you need to have your cooling system on top condition. Remember, 100F in the summer is a cool day. 110 to 120 F is the norm from June - September.

Other than that, just regular service consisting of power flushes and whatever Chevy recommends.

-Flash.

IceStriker

Reaction score
The orginal tranny died at 167,000 miles. The radiator had become plugged externally with bugs, and it ran hot for a while. I pulled the radiator and had AC coils and raditator cleaned out. There was not much air flow. But the tranny started slipping bad, so I had it replaced. I think the last straw was being stuck in line at the border in Mexicali Mexico. The outside temp got up to 132 F!! And my temp got really hot.

I also added a very large tranny cooler to both my Tahoe and Yukon. Here in the CA desert, you need to have your cooling system on top condition. Remember, 100F in the summer is a cool day. 110 to 120 F is the norm from June - September.

Other than that, just regular service consisting of power flushes and whatever Chevy recommends.

-Flash.

Good stuff, thanks!

BanditTahoe

Reaction score
My 07 has 213000 on it. All original, only real issue now is my exhaust manifolds are leaking at startup (usual, common studs are broken too).

IceStriker

Reaction score
My 07 has 213000 on it. All original, only real issue now is my exhaust manifolds are leaking at startup (usual, common studs are broken too).

By all original, do you mean engine and tranny? What maintenance repairs have you experienced in the last 50k or so miles?

I'm now (163k) noticing wheel bearings and possibly ball joints and tie rod ends. Probably just going to replace the safety issues as they come about but I would be thrilled to see 213k on my odometer one day.

BanditTahoe

Reaction score
Axles, engine, transmission, tcase etc. I service the diffs and transmission at 50k and run synthetic oil changes when the DIC says to.

Brakes, wheel bearings, ball joints etc. I consider regular wear items.

IceStriker

Reaction score
Axles, engine, transmission, tcase etc. I service the diffs and transmission at 50k and run synthetic oil changes when the DIC says to.

Brakes, wheel bearings, ball joints etc. I consider regular wear items.

Makes sense. Thanks for the reply!

akbrener

Reaction score
My dad and stepmom have a suburban with a 5.3 4L60E, has almost 275K miles and they still tow two horses almost 150 miles every weekend. The suburban is probably under powered/sized for what she is towing, but has not let them down yet.

The GM LS based engines and auto transmissions are probably the best and most reliable powertrains available. With ANY vehicle, mileage and vehicle life is dependent on maintenance. Keep your fluids changed on time and make sure your suspension/steering components are in good shape and it should last as long as you let it. Only thing that will probably give you issues is electrical or interior stuff as that just gets old and worn.

My dad also has a 1985 Mercedes 300 diesel with 575K miles. Only replaced the turbo and the hot starts.