How to change radio light bulbs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect! Thanks~

I ordered some extra bulbs... just in case I goofed.. or had more to blown bulbs to swap

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a week already w/ no radio... I never thought I'd miss it so much. I should have rushed the shipping... =P

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't bump my music much these days anyway. I end up turning on to news in the morning, and Tom Lykis on my drive home... my entire 5 mile drive. If I had to drive any further, I'd either need a radio.. or a nice exhaust... =)

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha, yea, i bump it a little. my sub control typically stays on 0, but with no mids and highs, all i had was tweeters running off the radio. and lemme tell you, ONLY having highs...sucks.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you... sadly, the stock Bose system on my Yukon sounds nicer in my opinion than the stock 'premium' system in my wife's '08 MDX. Her car has the bells and whistles, but my Yukon sounds fine... plus I don't bump much anymore so I was happy w/ the stock head unit (plus less worries of vandal/thefts).

Anyway... the bulb swap is finished! and I love it! At night, nearly all my interior lights were out... only the Meter cluster, and parking light switch lit up... oh and the orange light from the fog light switch. The truck felt old and tired....

Last night I got my mail that had 16 bulbs ($.25 each).. I thought I might mess at least one up so I got extras. It was tricky w/ only 2 hands, and a soldering gun (I shoulda used a thin point soldering pencil... but it's at my parent's so I kept going). I changed out all the bulbs w/ the the black and the tan bases. I got the hang of it after a few bulbs, and it got easier.

I also took out the single -dash cd player, and opened it up to find 2 more dead bulbs... so I swapped them as well. I was trying to get the dash cover off, and had trouble w/ unplugging the switches (in the dark) for the rear wiper/tailgate/fogs. Luck would have it, I pulled too hard and the rr wiper switch came apart.. but I noticed it was just snapped together... and there was a dead bulb staring at me!

...so... I took off all 3 switches, and took each one apart. They all had a dead bulb, and I never even knew they were supposed to light up. I swapped the bulbs in all the switches, and used all 16!

The moment of truth... when I reinstalled everything... I was amazed. The interior looked like an airplane cockpit! So many lights, and the truck felt brand new again!
I guess its equivolent to the feeling when you get new wiper blades...
Everything lit up, and w/ the cold weather, and pouring rain (we don't get snow near the beaches), it just felt like Christmas.

A couple notes... The link to the Radio Shack bulbs show the bulbs that look identical to the stock ones (w/ a plastic base)... but are were over a dollar each. The MCM bulbs recommended by Treepete (thanks again) are $.25 each (but they get you on shipping)... and these bulbs are smaller and no plastic housing. They still fit on the radio face's circuit board, but they look a tad smaller (lights up fine though). The best part was these smaller MCM bulbs were a PERFECT fit for the CD player, and all the side switches (most of these had a blue condom on and fit the bulbs perfect). I'm glad I went this route.

Anyway, thanks for listening to me babble... I'm just so stoked! (and my radio fund can now go to E-fans or injectors or something)

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude thats awesome. Its so cool to fix something yourself and it sounds like your results were great when you turned them on. If I did that I would have just sat in the truck and just stared at all the lights.. :)

Ill report back to Tony that there were 2 bulbs in the cd player. He'll be stoked that you had such awesome results. Cheers!

Pete

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be taking it overboard...

a couple more lights I'm curious about...
Are these supposed to light up too?

-The word 'Neutral' on the 4WD button panel
-Any of the buttons for the overhead dome /map lights
-The writing on the rear A/C control (near front map light)

I ran out of bulbs.. so it's a moot point for now.. but I'm curious.

Oh yea.. the Fog light switch was tricky... The solder point for the bulb is under neath, sandwiched by the plastic casing. You have to pry the circuit board up off the plastic casing... takes a little pressure, but it will come off clean, to expose the solder points.
Also, there is an amber light bulb (or condom?) for the fog 'on' indicator. Mine was still working, so I left it alone (so technically 2 bulbs in Fog switch).

-Bulbs:
Radio 10 bulbs
CD player - 2 bulbs (one for 'eject button' and one for the blue 'runway')
RR wiper switch - 2 bulbs
Tailgate switch - 1 bulb
Fog switch - 2 bulbs (one is for the writing, and one is for amber on indicator)

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no dude, its not overboard. Its awesomeness. I like to call it "thorough" or "of the highest quality" or "over the top"
overboard has a negative vibe to it. What your working on is art I think.

Ok. Im going to take a look at my lighting tonight since our setups are exactly the same.

On my fwd panel, one of mine is out I think its the 2wd one. or its intermittant when 2wd is selected.
my fog light switch works, but I dont think my rear wiper one does. Im going to take a look at it, though. and Im stoked your stoked.

I want some l.e.d. replacements for my puddle lights and dome lights.. I cant find a 194 type bulb in white led... only amber.

Rebound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway... the bulb swap is finished! and I love it! At night, nearly all my interior lights were out... only the Meter cluster, and parking light switch lit up... oh and the orange light from the fog light switch. The truck felt old and tired....

Anyway, thanks for listening to me babble... I'm just so stoked! (and my radio fund can now go to E-fans or injectors or something)

Dude, you don't post some pics of it, and we'll have to come by and break into your truck to see it!

Seriously, congrats! It's cool to have everything working! :cool2:

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha... thanks...

I actually 'lost' my camera for a little while... and JUST found it a few minutes ago... I'll try to get some pics soon.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at my lights last night, and its like you said. upon close inspection, i see that maybe 10 or more are out all over the dash.. I never really noticed this before. next time I order from MCM Ill get a handful of bulbs and slap them in.
always somthin'

ok foot of snow. gotta plow. later

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
at this moment... I'm suspecting that any writing in white letters should be able to light up... Does anyone know if the writing on the overhead switches (Rear A/C control) are supposed to light up? :D

Anyway, here's a couple pics I took last night of my cockpit :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 46

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha... I see we were in the same boat!

At the MCM price ($.25) I'd say order a LOT of bulbs.

Luckily my climate control and 4WD switch lights haven't gone out yet... but I guess it's just a matter of time.

If you can solder plugs on an R/C car... this is easy stuff. If you want some tips on the radio face panel, or the other switches I worked on... hit me up.. I'll gladly share the info.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome.
I may just do that. espically the fog, hatch, and wiper area, I remember that being a PITA when I went in for the head unit and cd delete pocket.

what did you use on the "thumb-goo" on the rear hatch letters? It looks like you cleaned it off ( the thumb goo, i mean.)
Mine is all dirty and you cant read all the letters. mine says "rea tch"
wonde if a cleaning wipe would take that off and leave the letters behind.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about the thumb-goo.. but I use simple green on a shop rag to wipe the buttons sometime... when they get grimey. I don't think it damages the finish compared to solvents.

I thought the discoloration on the 'rear hatch' writing was from the inside... I'll have to look into cleaning it up someday.

Yes, the 3 buttons were tricky to remove... mainly the rear hatch button. The wire plug has a strange lock tab. Just shove a small flat blade into it and pull it out. The other 2 swtiches (rr wiper+fog) have normal press tab locks on the wire plug.

I can't wait... Holiday vacation starting tomorrow! Can't seem to focus on work... =P

geo1

Reaction score
I don't know much about the thumb-goo.. but I use simple green on a shop rag to wipe the buttons sometime... when they get grimey. I don't think it damages the finish compared to solvents.

I thought the discoloration on the 'rear hatch' writing was from the inside... I'll have to look into cleaning it up someday.

Yes, the 3 buttons were tricky to remove... mainly the rear hatch button. The wire plug has a strange lock tab. Just shove a small flat blade into it and pull it out. The other 2 swtiches (rr wiper+fog) have normal press tab locks on the wire plug.

I can't wait... Holiday vacation starting tomorrow! Can't seem to focus on work... =P

Good job on those lights!!! I still have 3/4 of the radio lights out (now I know how to fix those :thumbsup:). For the rear wiper switch, did you just split it in half?

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!~

It's funny.. I have a stronger re-newed attatchment to this truck now... feels much newer.. seriously... better than new wiper blades... haha

Anyway, the rear wiper switch was opend up by accident. I was pulling on the front panel a bit hard.. w/o disconnecting the 3switch panel (wiper/tailgate/fog)...
and the wiper switch came apart... only to have the burnt out light bulbs staring me in the face...

If you can get the 3 switches off the car... it'll be quite easy. All 3 switches are held together w/ snaps, and if you have a thin, flat blade screwdriver, you can open them all up easily. When done, just snap them together. Seriously, it's easy. Just swap the blue colored condoms onto the new bulbs when you're done.

I'm glad the bulbs have no polarity... just solder them in.. and enjoy.

sphillips

Reaction score
Changed all ten of the lamps in my 2000 Tahoe radio this morning (old body style), all works good. Need to get a new push button module for my 4WD buttons, lights dont work. Any source for this?

Thanks