How to install a CD player in yer dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/GM/PDF/460005.pdf

this website gives step by step instructions for dash removal and installation of an aftermarket receiver.

the 7th page has a wire color chart which was very helpful to me when i replaced my 4x10 rear roof speakers as i had no clue which was positive and which was negative b/c they are brown and yellow, not red and black :D

98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump....
So whats with the front door? Are the speakers and tweeters hooked into the same wires? And the rear door and roof speakers conected also????

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 2 door so im not sure about rear doors. as for the rear roof they are 4x10 coaxial speakers. a coaxial speaker is a tweeter and a midrange speaker in one so it plugs in like one speaker with a positive and a negative.

the front door is not a coaxial speaker. there is a 6.5" round speaker in the door and a 1" tweeter in front of the power mirror controls behind that metal grille. they hook up each with their own seperate + - connection. i left the stock front door tweeters alone when i installed my system. i changed the 6.5" speakers and the 4x10 speakers.

SPXTrader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That's a great find.

There's an easy way to check the polarity of speaker terminals (and the attached wires). Grab a 9V battery and two alligator clipped jumpers. Hook one to the negative terminal and attach it to one of the speaker terminals, and tap the other against the positive. If the speaker cone moves outward, the polarity is correct. All ya gotta do then is to remember the brown/yellow results for attaching to the head unit.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 Door, Rear Door Speakers Are not hooked into the Way Back Speakers.. they require a different wiring harness you can pick it up at any good audio shop, they will know what you are looking for - and when wiring it up, make sure too hook up the power ant. wire from the head unit to the extra wire in the harness - or the remote amp wire - it is for the factory amp that powers the speakers in the rear doors (not the rear barn doors - the back two doors on the 4 door)

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That's a great find.

There's an easy way to check the polarity of speaker terminals (and the attached wires). Grab a 9V battery and two alligator clipped jumpers. Hook one to the negative terminal and attach it to one of the speaker terminals, and tap the other against the positive. If the speaker cone moves outward, the polarity is correct. All ya gotta do then is to remember the brown/yellow results for attaching to the head unit.

Nice fine, and thanks for the great information.

GetThatHoeMuddy

Reaction score
hey i have a 99 2door and I'm trying to install a pioneer deh-p4000ub with a mono us amps merlin 2D and Ma audio M500xe 1000w 4 channel amp.i have 2 12 punch p3's dual 2-ohm subs.i have wired them up to what i thought was the correct setup....turned out to not be the case. is there anyone that can pm me and give me a step by step on how to wire the speakers from the back of the HU to 2 channels of the M500xe and also how to wire up the subs. i have them setup for what i think is a 2 ohm load but my protection light clicks on so im assuming its the sub wiring.thanks

SirJeffro

Reaction score
4 Door, Rear Door Speakers Are not hooked into the Way Back Speakers.. they require a different wiring harness you can pick it up at any good audio shop, they will know what you are looking for - and when wiring it up, make sure too hook up the power ant. wire from the head unit to the extra wire in the harness - or the remote amp wire - it is for the factory amp that powers the speakers in the rear doors (not the rear barn doors - the back two doors on the 4 door)

Meanwhile, over in the "Reviving Old Threads" department........

So, the factory amp under the driver's seat runs the speakers in the (side) rear doors, but not the "way back" speakers above the barn doors? In my truck I get good sound only from the driver door speaker....ALL the others are very muted...like if someone had jammed pillows over them. Am I gonna find that they are just failed from age?....I mean, they -are- twenty-one years old....They were like this with the OEM cassette-stereo and with the JVC Bluetooth HU I've installed....

I was planning to bypass the factory amp to see what difference that would make....Is it common for these to fail? Of course that does not address the right front door speaker, so maybe I'll just inspect the defunct speakers before messing with the amp wiring....DUH!

Any thoughts or suggestions.....

Jeff P.
Raleigh, NC USA!