How to Put Vehicle Into 4WD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinesleeco

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Tahoe LT with the 4WD buttons on the left panel.

I've never owned a 4WD vehicle and the owner's manual just isn't clear to me.

Could someone give a simple explanation as how to put my vehicle in 4WD High and Low.

Thanks.

lafd55

Reaction score
If you want 4WD high on the fly make sure your at a low speed or parked. 4WD low you need to be in neutral to switch. thats it...

NJTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want 4WD high on the fly make sure your at a low speed or parked. 4WD low you need to be in neutral to switch. thats it...

yeah I was able to put my Tahoe in 4WD Low and then had to put it in park to put it back to 2Hi. I was stuck backing up a little ditch in a driveway and then I put it in 4WD, the first time I had to do it since i've owned it, it was like night and day, pulled right out.

I had a 4WD explorer once and used it in the snow but nothing crazy. But I definitely like my Tahoe much more.

hendedo

Reaction score
We have a 03 Z71. I HOPE we are doing this right, but when ever we put it in 4WD it is in neutral and vehicle is stopped. I do not switch it 'on the fly'.

If this isn't recommended way, let me know.

clkelley

Reaction score
Actually, I have used 4HI on the fly in every truck I have ever owned without issue and I have had occasion to make the switch running at speed in a sudden snow storm. But as for 4LOW then yes, you want to be completely stopped with the transmission in neutral.