Idler Pulley Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97tahoe

Reaction score
Hello All-
My idler pulley came off while I was driving and I have a few questions. I managed to find the pulley and a sleeve type piece under the battery area.

I haven't been able to find any pics of this area so I don't know if the sleeve goes on the inside of the pulley? Is there another piece that goes on the front side of the pulley? What size bolt holds the pulley in place?

Local Auto parts stores only tell me that yes they have the pulley in stock but know nothing else. I looked on gmpartsdirect for pics but no luck.

Any help in GREATLY appreciated!!!

price_l

Reaction score
Mine did this a while back. I dont think that they can be put back togeather. The best thing to do is to go get another one. I bought one from autozone. It wasnt that expensive.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the OEM one (AC Delco). It comes w/ the pulley, the bolt, a spacer, and a clip to hold it all together.

97tahoe

Reaction score
yes I definitely planned on buying a new pulley but it's finding the spacer and bolt that was the problem.

So do you remember where you found the AC Delco set?

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha.. I just went to the dealer. All they need is the last 8 digits of your VIN.
Normally, I'd go to an AC Delco dealer in the valley, but now living in South Bay, the dealer is the most convenient... plus they give a little discount to help ease the pain.

I've purhcased a lot of aftermarket replacement parts for my truck over the years, but most are not even equivolent or better than the AC Delco oem parts.