Improving handling and power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flatlander

Reaction score
Hello folks.....I am new to this forum and from Canada so bear with me as I post and respond accordingly.
I purchased a 2 door 1997 4X4 Tahoe (Sport) with 100,000KMs (63,000 miles) in excellent condition. Everything works as well. My intent is make a road hugging vehicle for some fun on our twisties here in British Columbia.

It has the typical 5.7 L Vortec with the M30 4L60E 4 speed auto and a New Process 241 transfer case.

I have installed a Bell Tech lowering kit which has dropped the front 2 inches and the rear 3 inches. At this time the frame is level with some adjustability in the front remaining. The rear is set and does not have a rear anti-sway bar. I have heard that a rear anti-sway bar can negatively mess with the handling of a short wheel base vehicle....any input on this is appreciated.
I am wondering if an AWD system makes sense or is there just too much messing with traction control systems? I was thinking that a Borg Warner AWD transfer case from a Astro/Safari of the same vintage might work but concerned about that being capable of handling increased power from a Tahoe. Comments?

Speaking of power.....I have thought about stroking the 5.7 but I believe it is a 2 bolt and not a 4 bolt main so that may not work. Could replace the 5.7 with a crate 383 stroker or something a little more new school like an LS1? I am not real keen on removing a perfectly fine engine with very few kms. Maybe just install electric cooling fan(s), cold air intake, headers, dual exhaust, free flow Borla mufflers, etc? Thoughts?

Thanks for any responses!

A couple of photos
IMG_0287.jpg IMG_0291.jpg

PNW NBS Z71

Reaction score
If you can, order the Corvette servo for the 4L60E trans and feel the difference in the shifting it causes. Much firmer set up and worth the money and helps keep the trans temp down from less slippage. You can order from these guys: https://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/

I think the use of the original engine and add ons for that is the way to go. You can throw more money at it when you decide to change the engine. I am personally not a fan of the AWD but your thoughts may be the way to go. There has to be some info out there about what you are talking about.

Flatlander

Reaction score
If you can, order the Corvette servo for the 4L60E trans and feel the difference in the shifting it causes. Much firmer set up and worth the money and helps keep the trans temp down from less slippage. You can order from these guys: https://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/

I think the use of the original engine and add ons for that is the way to go. You can throw more money at it when you decide to change the engine. I am personally not a fan of the AWD but your thoughts may be the way to go. There has to be some info out there about what you are talking about.

Thanks for replying....I know very little about transmissions so in addition to the Corvette servo would you get the long servo pin and an overdrive servo as well?

I think I will stay with the original transfer case, improve the transmission shifting and focus on improving the original engine horsepower/torque with some of the add-ons I mentioned earlier. Nice to bounce things of of others!

PNW NBS Z71

Reaction score
The pin is only needed if there is too much play at the cover. You can read about that at the web site. You can pay the extra fee for the pin and have it if needed or can install it at a later date if you need it then. I have not gotten the Overdrive servo because I do mainly in town driving. If you do enough highway driving, it would be a good thing to get and install as well. All of this is for a firmer shift and less slippage and therefore less heat in the trans. That is a good thing.

I think it is a smart move to get as much performance out of the existing engine. Still lots of miles left in that engine and lots of performance options for it.

Last edited:

dunpomax

Reaction score
I also checked out Borla and Magnaflow exhausts on 4wheelonline. I'm quite concerned about its loud sound. It might be too loud for my taste.