Intermittent Speedometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoesteve666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speedometer and Odometer are Intermittent. When it works, it shows correct values, but otherwise goes to zero. Been happening for about a month now, getting worse. Seems to work about 50-70% of the time, no rhyme or reason when it goes in or out. It can be working, I stop and go into someplace, come back and its out again. Can happen while driving also. No other symptoms, vehicle runs fine otherwise.

(Im not sure if it affected the cruise control when it goes out of not, I simply dont recall and have not tested that specifically)

i put an ELM device on and checked that the speed sensor still seems to be reading when the cluster went out, and there are no check engine lights. (Did not actually check codes).

I did replace the fuel gauge stepper motor multiple months back but otherwise, have not monkeyed with the cluster. (I also have a spare cluster of unknown condition, but have not pulled the stepper motor yet).
I wouldnt think its the speedometer stepper motor since the odometer goes out at the same time.

Are there are other speed sensors besides the one of the tranny?
What are the possibilities here? thanks

Update:
Also, i do notice that my battery is starting to go out. I did have autozone do a check and they indicate it was no good. Its been marginal for probably 6+ months now, but so far have not got stuck.

Also, I notice that my driver side front door window motor actuation is intermittent. It seens to go in and out without rhyme or reason. If it works, it works without issue it seems until I stop and turn the motor off and then notice when i come back, it could be working or not. It only started happening recently (within the last week). So I am wondering if there i any connection between the two issues, possibly related to battery charge?

Last edited: