Just bought a tahoe, have a couple questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phreakboy

Reaction score
Ok I will start by saying that you have a pretty nice forum here and im hoping it will yield some good advice.

I just purchased a 97 4 door lt tahoe and after driving it home have noticed a couple issues, The first one is the fuel gauge, it goes crazy. The guy told me that when he parked it, it was fine and after sitting for a couple weeks when he got back in it was doing this. The gauge will bounce around back and fourth and then it will start going in circles and then bounce around some more and then circles again. It does this constantly and im wondering if anybody else has dealt with this issue.

The second problem is that I drove this vehicle about 80 miles and it ran great, parked it in my driveway and shut it off and when I came back out 10 mins later and went to leave, the power steering was no longer working, when you go down the road it feels great but in my driveway it just whines and is incredibly hard to turn even though it worked ten minutes prior when i pulled in. Does anybody have any ideas, I would like to get this fixed asap and enjoy my new toy.

86mk7

Reaction score
First problem sounds like either the stepped motor in the gauge went bad or the sending unit went bad.
Second problem sounds like its Realy low on power steering fluid. There's a sensor on the Columbus mite make the same problem tho 2. I'd check power steering fluid first.

phreakboy

Reaction score
thank you for the response, the gauge starting working after I filled it above half tank so I assume it must be in the sending unit. The power steering is full and the problem seems to come and go. Now unfortunately I have to find a radiator since somehow mine cracked tonight. GRRRRR