LED lightbar on tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pjbabbitt112

Reaction score
Well picked up a lightbar today at Cabelas... I figured what the heck I would give it a try since you don't see alot of Tahoes riding around with them on.. looks pretty good overall, tell me what you think.
418253_10150738702788343_533848342_11670720_856847367_n.jpg
:waytogo:

clkelley

Reaction score
I don't normally like the light bars, not because they look bad, but the leds rarely last very long in them. But that looks good on your rig! Nice job!

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't normally like the light bars, not because they look bad, but the leds rarely last very long in them. But that looks good on your rig! Nice job!

X2. I have been thinking about installing the white LED light bars up front down low near the fog lights though, but Ill have to wait and see if its a proper appearance mod that would go well with the truck.

clkelley

Reaction score
X2. I have been thinking about installing the white LED light bars up front down low near the fog lights though, but Ill have to wait and see if its a proper appearance mod that would go well with the truck.

You know, I bet you may have local leo on you with one of those on the front, if they are anything like they are around here about accessory lighting.

pjbabbitt112

Reaction score
Thanks.. it looks a lot better in person the pic doesn't do it much Justice.. Also i have a friend with a white light bar on his cummins.. I thought maybe he had just wired the reverse light wrong but that's actually how its meant to work... I think its illegal but he's had it on for a few years now and hasn't had any issues.

clkelley

Reaction score
I like it where it is, it does look good. I doubt you would get harassed much with the position of it now. But mounted on the front as stated above MIGHT, just because they would see it as you came toward them on the road, kind of like having bright HID bulbs in the headlights and not aiming them properly, it can attract the wrong attention.

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was trying to find a sample of what I was talking about but hopefully my explanation will work. I wanted to accent the front end with those white LED strips that you usually see on the higher end vehicles like BMW or Audi, that have them stock on the inside of their headlamps or their front bumpers. Its a neat little appearance mod but finding the right LED strip and one that will last without burning out quickly. Eventually, I would love to convert all of my lighting insdie to LED and maybe install some Xenon lighting up front in the headlights and fog housings.

tonymac617

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol That might look good too but im not trying to stand out THAT much. Especially here where I live. Car Vandalism is frequent here and I live close to a liquor store that seems to bring Drunk inebriated people to the area which is close to where I park my truck. (Unfortunately) so I do what I can to keep her safe. Looking to get a camera set up installed once I get the money to make the purchase.

But to the OP, I like the light bar...it looks good there. Question: Ive seen on other trucks that half the bar lights up when a blinker is on. Is that how this setup is wired? Just curious.

pjbabbitt112

Reaction score
lol That might look good too but im not trying to stand out THAT much. Especially here where I live. Car Vandalism is frequent here and I live close to a liquor store that seems to bring Drunk inebriated people to the area which is close to where I park my truck. (Unfortunately) so I do what I can to keep her safe. Looking to get a camera set up installed once I get the money to make the purchase.

But to the OP, I like the light bar...it looks good there. Question: Ive seen on other trucks that half the bar lights up when a blinker is on. Is that how this setup is wired? Just curious.

Well that's the part that sort of sucks, it only does like a fourth of it for turn signals, I know what your talking about though... I got this one at Cabelas it was on sale for 70 bucks plus I got a military discount for 10 so I came out pretty good with it. It's got a 4 pin trailer harness you plug in and the reverse lights you have got to wire them into your reverse light wiring. it really lights up when you put it in reverse at night I can see twice as much now!!