Lost reverse + whirring noise above 40 when coasting? Tranny or x-fer case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

southo

Reaction score
Changed fluids on gf's 2002 4wd Tahoe LT 5.3L, changed front and rear diff, dropped tranny pan and flushed(looked "ok", no large shavings), put new ACDelco filter, flushed transfer case (was almost dry/old oil was super black, also like 2 small (7mmX7mm?) pieces of white plastic came out when I drained the old oil?? Drove to Lake Tahoe and back no problems. Driving down to Oakland next week and hear a "Clunk" noise while on freeway???

Symptoms rest of trip are: loud whirring/mild vibration (almost like a failed bearing) when driving over 40mph and coasting, if I feather the gas just above ~1200rpm (keeping the drive at or above rolling speed) whirring noise goes away. Drive like this all the way to oakland. Get there and no reverse, just makes a grinding noise like it won't shift in to gear. Park her at home, sits for a week... start her up and switch to 4wd (to test if xfer case or tranny), reverse working no problem, go back to 2wd, reverse still is working... :confused:

That's where it's at, I haven't taken her back out yet to see if I have problems above 40mph as I'm afraid it will do more damage. I tried to look on here and google for similar issues, read about (common?) broken sunshell, etc.

Are there any good ways to troubleshoot/diagnose this issue to narrow it down? Anyway new to the forum and thanks in advance for any advice/help

southo