Lower Intake Manifold Bolts Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000tahoez71

Reaction score
Just did the lower intake gasket job with the good fel-pros, and replaced the lower intake bolts when I was in there. I have a suspicion that I am getting coolant in the oil. However, I don't notice any coolant missing. I don't know if I am just being paranoid or what. After I did the job I changed the oil and drove it for about 20 miles. When I drained it, it felt really thin and there was quite a bit of magnetic particles on the drain plug, much more than I have ever had. However, it wasnt muddy, or creamy or anything, just looked like oil. My question is do any of the intake bolts go into water jackets? I know they all have thread sealer on them but figure on the corner 4 do if any. After I got the job done, I was using a long skinny screwdriver to index the oil pump and dropped the damn thing in there, so off the intake had to come. Made sure the gaskets were back in place good, reapplied the RTV and seated the intake again. None of the sealer appeared to have been removed from the bolts so I ran them back down without putting any more on. Any idea that I could be leaking or am I just being paranoid?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paranoid, keep tabs on your coolant level, when it is cold use a sharpie to mark the level and run it hot/ cold a few times and then check level cold again....

2000tahoez71

Reaction score
Several hot and cold cycles, even put about 100 miles on it with running without cutting it off and I see no drop. I hope I am just being paranoid.