Magnaflow Muffler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mellow, deep rumble from a simple muffler replacement. I had this muffler installed in place of the original and used the original 1 pipe in 2 pipe out configuration - this muffler was made to fit.

Very cost effective way to improve the sound, power and fuel economy. No 'drone' at 75 mph - quiet rumble around town - aggressive growl if you really get on it. Interestingly, the sound really mellowed out after 500 miles or so.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=473

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you post a sound clip?? I am looking for a deep sounding exhaust for my 99 Tahoe LT

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. I just had a Magnaflow replacement and exchanged out my muffler and removed the resonator as well, wound up replacing with a single in/single out configuration. The sound is nice and deep but mellow on the acceleration otherwise rather quiet (which was important to me as this is my daily family vehicle). Even my wife says that it is "a little louder, but very tolerable". As for any mpg changes still to early to tell, haven't quite gotten through the first tank (and the darn computer spends the first half tank learning how to run all over again).

bwilly20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ +1

did the same on Friday. took a weekend trip and logged about 600 miles.....really starting to sound nice. we have an almost 4 month old, and it didn't bother her or us cruising at about 75-80 on the interstate....

just sayin.....

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my magnaflow catback, I drive around like an redneck when its nice out just to hear it sing.

suckercyou

Reaction score
Jba Exhaust

what do you guys think of the JBA SS EXHAUST SYSTEM ANYONE HEARD IT ON THE STREETS YET?

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found a flaw with my Magnaflow...I recently took a highway trip and noted that there was a drone in the rear passenger area at around 70 mph. Although it wasn't noticable in the front driver/passenger seats I had a rear passenger notice it. I think it just has to do with the rpms being in the "sweet spot" for the muffler at the 70 mph mark, at 65 mph can't really notice it (and haven't tried faster to see if it changes). Would anyone have any guesses if having the resonator put back on would decrease the drone? Other than that I am loving the sound and performance improvements it is providing.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had a drone at 72 for about a month, no issues since then once you break in the muffler.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto to Boost - no drone since the break in. Drove 600 miles one way in 2 days with 5 people at varying highway speeds. No one mentioned any drone - just a mellow distance rumble.

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess since most of my driving is city and not highway it will take a little longer to break the muffler in. As of now only about 3 weeks on anyway and that happened to be my first trip at true highway speeds with it. Thanks for the reply...but i do love how it sounds :thumbsup:

chaileyk5

Reaction score
hey run,

you say it was a direct replacement for the stock muffler? i just bought a 2000 a couple of weeks ago. went to the shop today to have a flowmaster put on it. i didn't know that it is a 1 in, 2 out setup. would have ended up costing me twice as much as i thought, so i'm going to hold off.

it's looking like there is a couple of the magnaflow on ebay for around $100, i just want to make sure it will be a direct replacement, and they don't have to do alot of extra welding...

thanks

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it was a direct replacement - if you poke around on Magnaflow's web site you can find the part number for that direct replacement. I think I paid $98 for mine from Summit racing so you might check there first. 1 pipe in - 2 out - made NO changes other than the muffler.

Good luck!

diffrnt

Reaction score
I just had my Magnaflow muffler and tips put on and it sounds great! My truck actually sounds like a truck now. Gotta love that V8 rumble :thumbsup:.

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats

I just had my Magnaflow muffler and tips put on and it sounds great! My truck actually sounds like a truck now. Gotta love that V8 rumble :thumbsup:.

Sounds great, doesn't it? And it only gets better over time..... It's spring time here in northern Virginia - temps are comfortable - so it's time to bring down the passenger side windows and listen to the rumble!

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
single in dual out? why 2 out if you only have one pipe out the back?

run4jc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great question, but a simple answer - that's the way the stock system was made. There is a 'Y' - 2 2 1/2 inch pipes merge into 1 3 inch about 6 inches behind the muffler. I wanted to match up to stock with no cutting or fabrication required. Worked like a charm......plus I figure if I ever want to convert it to dual pipes it'll be easy.