Mileage mods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r.knighter

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I bought a 1999 Escalade (should I be in this forum or the 1992-1999 Tahoe/Yukon forum?) and am wondering if anyone can point me to some threads or links that suggest modifications for optimal fuel economy. I read the post about driving habits, choice of fuels/cleaner, spark plug intervals, etc.

I know she's a beast, and that's why I bought her, and I know that driving habits will have the most significant effect on my fuel economy, but I am wondering about recommended summer or all-season tires and PSI, recommended filters or oils/fluids, etc. I don't think I'll invest in a dual exhaust mod, but the smaller mods (filter, and what else I could consider) really interest me!

I'll post pictures as soon as I get her back from the certification process and after a detailing.

1996, 146K km, Bordeaux Red, 16' factory rims, all stock. : )

clkelley

Reaction score
The best money is spent on keeping your tires and fluids up to par so to speak. Making sure they are regularly rotated and balanced, etc. Please note that the best mileage will be seen when you run the "Maximum" PSI, but this will in time cause premature wear to the center line of the tread on the tires. I personally like Hancook DynaPro ATM all terrain tires. They wear great and when I have run them, they have had little to no fluctuation in the PSI like others I have run.

Also, making the change to full synthetic fluids all the way through your powertrain can make up to an 8% increase in fuel mileage gains. Most synthetic fluids are good, but some are better than others and some companies actually formulate their fluids FOR mileage gains.

And of course making sure that your suspension and steering components are in good condition and adjusted properly.

This along with driving habits will get the best results overall, without adding tuning, etc.

r.knighter

Reaction score
Thanks clkelley!

At this point, I unfortunately cannot afford Hancooks. I am currently running a less expensive tire, Neptune's "Experience" (never heard of them myself).

Right now, she is at the shop having a transmission rear output seal replaced to stop a transmission fluid leak. Now, "making the change to full synthetic fluids all the way through your powertrain" refers which components exactly? Engine oil, tranny fluid, diff fluid, transfer case fluid, engine coolant?

I really appreciate your help :)

clkelley

Reaction score
That is it exactly, engine, tranny, transfer case, differentials and coolant. Making sure they are all in good shape is important while running synthetics is even better. Because of the uniformity of the molecular structure found in full synthetics, the flow properties are better while also offering longer service intervals, etc.

Let me know if you would like some info on Amsoil fluids for your Hoe...

clkelley

Reaction score
As a matter of fact, yes, one of the distribution centers is in Toronto and the other is in Edmonton Alberta. That being the case, you could save on shipping by picking it up from the distribution center yóurself...

r.knighter

Reaction score
I checked out the site and you guys have a lot of nice products!

If I were to switch to synthetic for my entire power train, which products would recommend for the 1999 Escalade? Anything specific for the 5.7, it's tranny, etc?

clkelley

Reaction score
For the absolute best shot at the most mileage benefits, extending service intervals, etc. I have listed the recommended products below. Hope this helps.

For the 5.7L V8 Vin Code (R) 5.1 quarts
SAE 5W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (ASLQT)

4L65-E Automatic Transmission (20 quarts needed for a proper FULL flush & filter change)
Low Viscosity Synthetic ATF (ATLQT)

Differentials 3 qts rear and 2 qts front
SEVERE GEAR 75W-90 Synthetic EP Lubricant (SVGQT)

Transfer Cases: NVG 241-NP2, NVG 243-NP1 2 qts each
Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATFQT)

Transfer Case: NVG 246-NP8 (Full time automatic all wheel drive)
Amsoil has no product available for this application. YOu need to get GM Auto-Trac II Fluid GM Part No. 12378508

Engine Oil Filter 1 each
25,000-Mile Ea Oil Filter (EAO23)

Transmission Filter 1 each
WIX 58904 Trans Filter

Fuel Filter 1 each
WIX 33481 Fuel Filter

Coolant 3 gallons concentrated
AMSOIL Antifreeze and Engine Coolant