Misleading grinding noise while braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsimmo12

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I originally joined the site to get some advice but have since solved my problem and wanted to share it.

I have a 2005 Tahoe Z71 (2WD), and it would make a grinding / scraping noise while braking just before coming to a complete stop. The noise would quit if I let off the brake pedal so I was convinced that it was a problem in the brake system not a bad wheel bearing but I was left confused after I changed all four brake rotors & pads and it didn't help.

Well this past Friday I went ahead and changed the front drivers side wheel hub and it hasn't made the noise since so I'm hoping that it was the cause.

The old hub seemed to be ok, no side to side play and it would rotate freely and quietly, the only indication it was going bad is that it would be a bit tougher to turn for half of it's rotation, it wasn't a consistent free spin all the way around. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the bearing was the problem.

I just wanted to share this with everyone because I was convinced that it was a brake issue and I was wrong. Take care.

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seen this before on neumerous vehicles. but hope that the problem is fixed by the way...
But the most common thing with what your describing would be an abs sensor, wheel speed sensor.
Does it have a predominant side that the noise comes from. LF or RF? that would help narrow it down or if you have access to a scanner that has abs capability you can actually see the sensor malfunctioning without throwing a code.

jsimmo12

Reaction score
The noise dominantly came from the LF side so that is which wheel hub I replaced. I'm considering it to be fixed since it still has not made that noise since I replaced it.

If the ABS speed sensor was bad, was it engaging the abs?