Missing inside door handle on driver's side question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scstables

Reaction score
I just bought a 1998 blue (indigo?) tahoe LT to replace the 99 LT tahoe that we re-sold at auction (due to too many issues). The handle used to open the door on the inside was missing and we have bought the replacement unit from Auto Zone. Now, there is a plastic piece that fits around the door handle and lock unit. Does this piece come off easily? As in clip in? Or does more of the inside of the door need to be removed to replace the handle/lock unit? I get tired of having to open the window and let myself out!

BTW, everything inside this 98 tahoe still works (yay) except for the cd player skips (drats). I used to have a 98 white lt tahoe (bought it brand new) then we had traded it in on a 2005 lt tahoe. Unfortunately when the market crashed, it was not long before our business suffered and we had to sell our 2005 tahoe :( in order to pay bills. The work slowed down so much that we ended up in chapter 7 eventually so we can't get a loan even to buy a newer used Tahoe. Oh well.

Only thing with this tahoe, is the hood paint is cracked up, and there is some cracking on the roof which I repair temporarily with some spray paint to stop water getting in and causing corrosion. There were three spots up on the roof that the paint and primer were flaked off completely, I filled those in till we get it professionally fixed. I hope to get the hood repainted and the areas on the roof repaired soon. The paint on the rest of the vehicle is good. It shined up to show room finish with Meguier's Gold Class wax.

I also need a mat for the back as that is missing out of the vehicle. Where can I get one of these? Would also like to replace the brake lenses that are opaque due to age, where can I find those? Thanks.

scstables

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. As to the broke interior door handle, found out that the whole door panel has to come off to replace that assembly and a rivet has to be drilled out. :whymewhyme: Going to take the Tahoe and the new part we got from auto zone to an auto shop and have them do this. The engineers who designed this could have done a better design to make it easier to do. sheesh!! :whymewhyme: