Moving Steering Shaft for Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stoner72

Reaction score
I was following Lone rangers instructions for replacing the steering sensor on a 97 Yukon. I've got everything ready to go, but I can't get the stinkin' steering shaft to move forward.

I disconnected the bolt, and I can't seem to push or pull the shaft through the firewall. Am I missing something? Do I need to disconnect anything on the engine side?

Thanks.

Oh and you can get the sensor from Rockauto for $25 delivered. I'm in AZ, it shipped from TX and only took three days on regular shipping. Might be hooked on Rockauto.

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

Yes, on the engine side there is another bolt to remove that connects to the steering gear box side of the shaft.

NicoJones

Reaction score
Welcome!
I replaced my sensor and didn't have to do anything on the engine side. Did you turn your steering wheel to give access to the bolt that holds the steering sensor? It was pretty easy and just had to force the shaft towards the firewall.

stoner72

Reaction score
Got it! But..

Thanks folks! I did manage to get it out later that night. I was trying to knock it out quickly before my son's football game, and was getting frustrated. It took some force, but it came out.

I installed the new one. Someone had already done it once, because there was no foam on the connector, and the wires were free.

It seems to have helped some, but the truck still fells a little sloppy going down the road. Is there soused to be a specific "location" for it to be in. I just made sure the bump on the up side (with the wires) fit in the notch of the plastic holder.

Thanks again..

clkelley

Reaction score
What do you mean by sloppy? You mean there is play in the steering? I would recommend chcking the idler and pitman arms first. Do this by getting under the truck where you can see the steering linkage and have someone else sit in the truck while it is running and turn the steering wheel back and forth. There should be zero up and down play in the idler an pitman arms while turning, if there is any play start by replacing those.