MPG Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osspray

Reaction score
I have a 2002 tahoe z71. I upgraded my spark plugs at the 100k mark to ac delco iridiums and I noticed an instant response. Now I'm working on a diablo trinity system, and i was curious if there is other stuff that I can do that will help me increase my MPG since my job requires lots of driving. Will CAI, headers, and dual exhaust help me achieve this goal? and if so what product does one use for the best response?

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best MPG mod on my hoe was rear gears.

4 56 out back, if I'm nice I can get 18.5ish on the highway on 35/12.5/17 mudders.

Cai headders and exhaust will help, but the brand really depends on what suits you sound wise.
I hear amazing things about black bear tunes as well to boost economy.

NCFD4303

Reaction score
if you want MPG's buy a honda for commute's. I have done exhaust, Intake, e-fans, underdrive pulleys, BB Efi i live autocal tune. I do mostly highway and i avg 14.6 and it hasnt changed at all with these upgrades.

osspray

Reaction score
ATM I get 17.5-18 if i keep my foot off the gas pedal (but who likes to do that) but majority I get 15-16 normally not driving good. 14 if i drive over speed limit (or 75 in texas since some of theirs are 80)

osspray

Reaction score
what is a stock z71 rear ratio normally at? and sound I don't know what I'm looking for, something good sounding but not overly loud so that I can keep a decent professional look with my business.

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear gear should be a standard 3.73.

I've seen as much as 20 on road rips (phx to L.A. not much elevation change)

I'm also super anal about keeping my injectors and valve train clean.
Seafoam upper intake once a month as well as clean k&n filter and throttle body.
Spark plugs changed after every seafoam treatment.
Oil and diff changed every 3k along with fuel filter.
160k on her, engine has never been cracked.

I run magnaflows on my stock exhaust. Throaty but not too obnoxious.

A decent fipk cold air intake will help a tad. I've got a tb spacer but it came with the truck o who knows if that contributes or not. Most dyno results show no gain in HP but helical fuel atomization can't hurt.

A programmer with an eco mode or something like PLX devices kiwi can do wonders.

osspray

Reaction score
im looking at the diablo trinity for a tuner, and trying to see about CAI intake, other than that im always to busy to do any other mods if i ever get the time ill probably play with the gear ratio, and also get the front lifted to the level height so my rear end aint higher. but all that takes time and im always on the road working so i dont get much time off and when i do get time off im stuck in between payments from my contractors :whymewhyme:

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to bash the Diablo tuner, but there is a good reason so many GM full size guys trust black bear tunes.

Look into it. They're a supporting vender of this site.

osspray

Reaction score
ok, i'll do just that. Do you know of any reasons why the diablo isn't the right path? i'm looking at all my options and getting info from every one on tunings would be amazing :)

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a generic tune. Not all engines are exactly alike. What one 5.7 may like might not be the best for another. Black bear tunes for YOUR engine. They don't just make one tune and toss it out there.

If my financial situation was better I'd have bb tune my rig asap.

the baPhoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I'm just using the 5.7 as an example. All engines differ slightly.
Hell I've seen in the syclone and typhoon world exactly the same builds run seconds slower in the 1320 because one had a generic tune like an atr pitbull and the other truck was tuned for its local environment.

Barometric pressure, elevation, mods, these all factor in on a good tune and bb tunes to your specifications. I'm in no way affiliated with this company but I've done my homework and they seem to be the people to depend on.

osspray

Reaction score
Well I just put a 3" pipe from the dual Y to a new flow master muffler and the truck sounds amazing and I'm getting more power, I'll see what my fuel mileage is when I head down to Harlingen tomorrow and let y'all know. :peace: