MSD coil upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case you didn't know, MSD makes a direct fit coil upgrade. In my opinion, the overall MSD package works well... I've had mine for many yrs, and had better mpg, as well as smooth idle, and instant starts. If I had another truck.. I'd get this again... in fact, I've installed MSD ignition amps, wires,coils, etc in whatever I could, from boosted/nitroused cars, to daily driver cars and trucks. Always had nice results.

Anyway, luckily, MSD makes a plug and play harness for the 6A ignition amp... so that's easy... just connect, and hook up the battery + ground. MSD 8.5mm wires are a direct swap, and have WAAAY less resistance than stock oem wires (I've measured many times), to get your hot spark to the plugs efficiently.

The coil is a direct fit too. It's mounted on a bracket w/ the ignitor, but the bracket is riveted together. Just dremel or drill the rivets out, and use new screw/bolts to install the MSD coil.

Here's some pics...

*oh, and I take no resonsibility w/ how or what you do to your vehicle... this is just what I did.

Attachments

• msd coil2.jpg
    msd coil2.jpg
    453.9 KB · Views: 11
  • msd coil3.jpg
    msd coil3.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 9
  • msd coil4.jpg
    msd coil4.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 8

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now here's some pics w/ the stainless steel hardware and MSD coil installed.
*I used a dab of blue loctite as well.

Attachments

• msd coil5.jpg
    msd coil5.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 9
  • msd coil6.jpg
    msd coil6.jpg
    421.5 KB · Views: 10
  • msd coil7.jpg
    msd coil7.jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 7
  • msd coil8.jpg
    msd coil8.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 23

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh... the part # for the MSD stuff:

MSD 6A ignition amp: #6200
MSD wire adapter: #8877
MSD ignition coil: #8231
MSD 8.5mm ign wires: #32169

(I dont work for these guys nor sell any product... but these kick ass)

Just Kroozn

Reaction score
The man speaks the truth...It's money well spent...thanks for the part #'s
Noticed your from "Torrance" spent 30+ yrs stopping those grounds...Arkansas is home now...

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick question with the wires: did you have to make your own ends, or did they come pre made? i hate having to make my own. i think i Accel made set i did last. sucked! thanks in advance.

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The MSD ignition wires come ready to install.. nothing to cut or crimp. I'd recommend a dab of dielectric grease on the contacts... but that's it. It comes w/ all 8 wires for the spark plugs and one more for the coil to cap connection.

The wire's jackets are soft, like silicone... which means they wont harden, and are flexible, however, they can get damaged it allowed to rub, to contact anything sharp. Just route them clean, and make sure they don't rub on anything, and you'll be happy.
The resistance measured is amazingly low compared to stock oem wires. I don't know if you can feel this kinda difference, but it makes me warm and fuzzy knowing it's working well.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After Seeing JPs MSD, I did the upgrade, and he is 100% correct. Smoother idle and never skips starting or anything llike that. its awesome.

Pete

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya, eventually i want to at least get the wires. glad to hear they come ready to go. i always use dielectric grease on wires anyway. thanks!

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, for our motors, the parts I described are the jist of what's plug and play... and good for typical use. If you build your motor, race or do heavy off roading, then there are other features you can look into... such as the ones w/ rev limiters, adjustable timing, water proof and or rubber shock mounts... They also have shift lights, and cool tools... but the mojority of us probably don't need all these features.

The MSD 6A is the basic version of ignition amp for us... then there is also the 6AL w/ rev limiter... and there is a new 6AL-2 that is smaller, and has programable rev limiter.

So far, I don't think they have a distributor for us. If they have a cap and rotor, I'd get their brand too.. but even that seems to have skipped our Vortecs. Sucks.

Anyway, I'd stick w/ the 'list' and invest in some new spark plugs as well =)

Colabella7077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats what I was thinking of. Also, would you rather get the 6AL, 6AL-2 Over the 6A? and what do you mean by it can be altered with rev limiter and stuff? how do u do that/

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For these trucks, I'd just save my $$ and get the 6A. The 6AL has a rev limiter where you plug in a small 'rpm chip' which will activate a soft rev-limit cut according to the chip's rpm. If you want to change rev limit, you get different chips. The 6AL-2 is adjustable.. I think it has a pot switch you can adjust (but not sure... never installed one yet).

If your stock rev limiter is still working, then that's your max limit. The MSD won't do anything for you to raise the limit.... however, you can program the MSD to limit your rpm before the stock one. Most race cars remove the stock rev limiters, or have it sky high, so this helps. It's generally pointless for us...

Backon4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put one in my yukon as soon as I got it. Mine is red for some reason but was actually cheaper than factory at advance autoparts.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that seems like a good kit there, kinda pricy but im sure itll pay it self off

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea.. the whole package isn't cheap, but it sure made the yukon drive nice and smooth.

I used to do installs at a tuner shop back in the day... and got most of my parts at cost... (I don't even remember what that was now) but I knew it was worth it.

Tigg

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of MSD. I would like to upgrade my ignition. Is this a plug and play install?

Thanks

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm i wonder if anyone on this forum gets any deals with MSD, anyone want some extra cash in their pockets ; ) lol.. im sure u could get a couple sales here...