My 5.7 is running rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j.serkowski

Reaction score
Default My 5.7 is running rough
I have a 99 4x4 with a 5.7. i was diving last night and the service engine light started flashing and it developed a miss, like 1 cylinder wasn't firing. It limped home and i put new plugs and wires in it, cleaned the cap and rotor with 320 grit and it's still not running right! I was wondering what my next course of action should be. it has 153000 on it with an MSD coil, I checked the spark and it's yellow, should i change the coil and or ignition module? New cap and rotor....distributor?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yellow doesnt sound good, check the coil..... I would put a new cap/ rotor on it to begin with.... The MSD coil probably took a dump on ya tho....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also suspect the injector on this type of FI, with the exception of the yellow low voltage spark......

j.serkowski

Reaction score
Well after doing plugs and wires I got a new coil to no affect. It was only after I took the coil back and swapped it for a new cap and rotor did it fix the problem. No check engine light either, my scan tool cleared all of the codes and all is right with the world for now, I would like to thank everyone for they're input.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea!!! another one back on the road!!!!