My 99 Tahoe 4x4 won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

keek007

Reaction score
when a vehicle wont start it is either cause of no fuel, no air, or no spark. so you start with a process of elimination. hit it with some startig fluid/ carb cleaner. if it runs on strting fluid but will not run without you manually fogging the motor then you have a fuel issue. check for spark at the plug, if it looks good then you check the least likely, an air blockage or sensor as another poster said earlier. take what ya find and keep digging. good luck

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compression is another thing required for an engine to run.....

keek007

Reaction score
process of elimination. if it runs on starting fluid or carb clean you have spark but no or not enough fuel, if it has fule but no spark you know where to look. also, and its inlikely but has happened to me. check the air cleaner and air intake for blockage. i had a dodge that the air filter came apart and a paice had sucked town the intake tube and was blocking air from getting into the engine so bad it wouldent start. i know unlikely but sometimes we overlook he simple and go right for the big problems.

dbirdez

Reaction score
Hope you chased it down, Not sure what type of fuel system you have but on my 95 5.7 w/tbi ,I was having the same problem. I could squirt some gas down the barrel and it would start and run , turn it off and nothing, found out it was the throttle body position sensor was bad. Best of Luck!