My Lights Suck!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK Got back from NC, but that trip is mosly non lit roads. Especally in the sandy beach areas (for a 2wd my truck did preety well, would not trust it in the soft stuff, but for hard packed sand it was preety good)

Anyway it just opened up rain down there, i guess a freak storm lasted for about 15 min, but i had my low's and fogs on and i could not see a freakin thing, didnt even look like my lights were on, except for the signs lighting up. I had to pull over and wait it got so bad, i fliped on my highs (Which if people remember their drivers ed, your not supposed to do that in foul weather) But all that did is reflect more of the signs and no extra coverage. SO i had to pull over and wait for the rain to stop. In my old yukon with my denali projectors and a 55W 9005 HID kit I could just blow through with no problem, Would never need the highs or fogs, but would turn the fogs on just for extra vision in bad weather, And pop the highs on (with my 6 high mod BTW) it was like i turned on THE SUN!!!! Which even in rain made it alot easier to see.

But this yukons lights SUCK MAJORLY. What can i do. I dont like the projectors they have out. OTher than those ones i posted, but im not sure if its worth 700 bucks (yet, maybe) Are the silverstars any better??? Looking at HIDS kits But i hate hate hate, people who just throw them in their stock housings and blind everybody. And that would be what im doing. Um i look at some kits that say they have the bulb in the same place as the filimate which means it has the same beam paddern, but i dont trust that.

Anyone care to chime in.

Im wondering if i should get a grill guard and throw some fog beam paddern lights on there, plus a light bar on the roof (but those are noisy) with driving lights and use those when nobody is around and its safe to use them. But haveing nice bright lowbeams where i have great vision all the time with out blinding other drivers is the best option IMO. Like my old yukon.

Maybe i could retro some escalade projectors in, but IM not sure im ready to do that as that takes time.

Poe1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's between throwing the HID's in the stock housings or paying the $700. If you make trips like this a lot and are gonna run into weather like this, the $700 is worth it if it doesn't put a big damper on your wallet. Throwing HID's in stock housings is fawkin annoying. What do you not like about the other HID's that are out now? If it's something significant then I understand you not wanting them. But if you can save a grip of $$$ then why not???

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's between throwing the HID's in the stock housings or paying the $700. If you make trips like this a lot and are gonna run into weather like this, the $700 is worth it if it doesn't put a big damper on your wallet. Throwing HID's in stock housings is fawkin annoying. What do you not like about the other HID's that are out now? If it's something significant then I understand you not wanting them. But if you can save a grip of $$$ then why not???

I do this trip twice monthy leaveing afterwork, so in the wintertime it will have been dark for a while by the time i get there, My parents have a house down there that i relax in, I tow the jeep down there with the kon and park the kon on a lot and take the jeep to the house Since the house has no paved roads and all deep sand and mud. The jeep i spend 400 bucks and got awsome projectors an An HID kit from higher level auto. Wish it was that easy for the yukon.

But i guess your right, i might as well spend the 700. I just gotta do some thinking, Maybe trade this in on and escalade. Then with the AWD i would not have to trailer the jeep to get to the house. Hmm Decisions, Decisions:D

turboedmsp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get some HID's they are worth it. i bought a kit off ebay and they don't blind anyone. i made sure of this i am guessing the tahoe beam pattern is low and wide stock. I do too hate the hid kits that blind people. you can always aim your lights lower to avoid blinding people.

Last edited:

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grille guard is the last thing you want. A light hit to the front and it will take out the grille, lights and wrap around to damage fenders too. Seen it happen all the time in my line of work. Do yourself a major favor and figure something else out to solve your problem. I dont wanna see you jump from the fryin' pan into the fire.......!! You wont be a happy camper.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grille guard is the last thing you want. A light hit to the front and it will take out the grille, lights and wrap around to damage fenders too. Seen it happen all the time in my line of work. Do yourself a major favor and figure something else out to solve your problem. I dont wanna see you jump from the fryin' pan into the fire.......!! You wont be a happy camper.

Isnt that what insurance is for??? If it does that kinda damage my vehicle is concitered a total loss, and i have full vehicle replacement (expensive, but i dont skimp in insurance) so i get away with a new vehicle.

I know your just trying to help. Im just trying to get the full picture hear. :thumbsup:

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its a late model 07 or 08, damage will have to be 70% of ACV (actual cash value ), to be considered a total loss. That comes to be in excess of 20 K in damage. I know I would rather avoid the possibility of having my truck damaged and insurance rates go up because of a bolt on accessory......but thats just me.....;)

mohspeed

Reaction score
Rain-X works wonders for me especially when's it pouring like madness...and at times I don't even need the wipers. Try that for a start then get some HIDs.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its rain-xed every time i have it washed (2wice a week) ;)

but your insurance rates dont go up enless its your fault. Right, atleast when i wrecked the mustang and the other guy got the ticket my rates stayed the same. :cool:

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its rain-xed every time i have it washed (2wice a week) ;)

but your insurance rates dont go up enless its your fault. Right, atleast when i wrecked the mustang and the other guy got the ticket my rates stayed the same. :cool:

You're right it's supposed to stay the same rate, but so if you have excessive claims they'd probably just drop you instead!

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RT, I don't think you'll ever be happy with your lights unless you can harness the output of the friggin sun! It's okay, there are worse things a man can obsess about LOL.

Seriously though I do know what you mean, I want to retro some projectors and add some aux spotlights somehow.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right it's supposed to stay the same rate, but so if you have excessive claims they'd probably just drop you instead!

I know, i just like the look of grill guards. I guess i will just throw one on the jeep, that only sees offroad anyway. :D

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RT, I don't think you'll ever be happy with your lights unless you can harness the output of the friggin sun! It's okay, there are worse things a man can obsess about LOL.

Seriously though I do know what you mean, I want to retro some projectors and add some aux spotlights somehow.

if you find a way let me know, I will pay every freakin doller to my name to have it.

I found a company that will retro for me, Im just worried its not gunna pass my state safty inspection. Plus i need to buy another set so i can still drive my truck while their being fitted, plus 1000 bucks buys alot of food and gas. Im trying to cut down on spending money, but it aint workin to well. I spend 100 bucks for wiperblades yesteraday I just have a huge obsession for buying the absolutly best most expensive stuff for my cars, i dont know why:lol:

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just turn you mirrors, will that be check or money order? Oh wait, you probably want it to work at night- Damn.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty sure you have two remaining options:

1) Whine about it (but you're already doing that, right?) ;)
2) So, get these. Cost is retarded, as you know, plus you supply the OE headlights.
3) Or, get some of these. They look a little too "funky" for me...

Or, you could just put some HIDs in and don't worry about it. I'd rather see, especially in inclement weather, and personally not spend a ridiculous amount of $$$ in the process. A TSX retrofit is a cool idea, but clearly the time / cost / experience required is high (and they look the best IMO). If those eBay specials were available in some alternate styles that were more subdued and looked a little more stock, without all the bling-mo-bile-LEDs, I'd definitely get a pair.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) Whine about it (but you're already doing that, right?) ;)
2) So, get these. Cost is retarded, as you know, plus you supply the OE headlights.
3) Or, get some of these. They look a little too "funky" for me...

Or, you could just put some HIDs in and don't worry about it. I'd rather see, especially in inclement weather, and personally not spend a ridiculous amount of $$$ in the process. A TSX retrofit is a cool idea, but clearly the time / cost / experience required is high (and they look the best IMO). If those eBay specials were available in some alternate styles that were more subdued and looked a little more stock, without all the bling-mo-bile-LEDs, I'd definitely get a pair.

Thanks for the links. The e-bay ones are way to wierd and ricy. i would like them with out all the crap around them.

IM really thinking about the retro ones with the infiniti projectors, i posted a link about that a while ago. 700 does not seem so bad anymore, heck I still got 3k left from my tax refund, could get some for the jeep and yukon and still have half of it left. :lol:

the more and more i think of it though, im wondering if i should just bite the bullit, get an HID kit from Higherlevel and be done with it. I just hope the law wont kick me in the @ss, but i hope that with 4300k its safe. :ktoe: