My Volant Story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after waiting and waiting since ordering the Volant Intake before Christmas, I finally got it. I ordered it from autoanything.com, and it got stuck in Greensboro, NC for over a week! I called them and they sent another just to be nice because we concluded that the original must have been stolen because nothing like that gets "lost" :lol: .

Some of the people who review these claim they install them in 45 minutes. Heh I want to know what they did. Try 3.5 hours for me. I had to heat up the rubber grommet that goes from the throttlebody to the new tubing with a heat gun, and then had to shrink that end of the tubing by heating that up and tightening a brace around it at the same time :crazy: .

And getting the two rubber gaskets lined up on either side of the filter box was a trick too. Terrible instructions. This was three times harder than installing in intake on my dad's '84 911 and ten times harder than his '00 540i.

But everything "seems" ok after much cussing and ranting throughout yesterday. It didn't help that yesterday was probably one of the ugliest, coldest, rainiest days that SC ever had. I cleaned the MAF and the throttle body, which really wasn't very dirty at all. I now notice better crank times, and the throttle response seems better. My exhaust note is also deeper, and is alot louder at WOT, where I also notice better acceleration. But what's up with everyone talking about how they love the "whistle" that these things give off? I know what the "whistle" sounds like because both of my dad's cars that I mention give it off even when they're not at WOT. But I can't hear any whistle, or maybe a trace of one at WOT but my exhaust overshadows it. Is it because I have the Powercore Filter (the oil free one) which some people don't have?

cincinnati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great feed back. i'm leaning towards the VOLANT but i keeping hearing the install issues and bad directions with the product. looks like i might get the s&b ??

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No "whistle" here. Just much deeper, throatier roar at WOT, and deeper exhaust note like you say. Glad you got it done, sorry it was so ridiculous to install!!! :crazy:

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took me 30 minutes to get the S&B on. Also ordered from Autoanything.com - drop shipped directly from S&B.

Unfortunately, they gave me the wrong lid, so one of my screws does not line up. S&B is supposed to send me a replacement, but I've been waiting almost a month for that. Need to give em a call again.

The whistle sound, to me, simply sounds more like the engine is at a higher rpm than it actually is.

cincinnati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the S&B system sound like the overall way to go :thumbsup:

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a K&N intake on my old 06 tahoe I noticed a deeper sound at WOT but the sound was coming from my intake not my exhaust. I could hear ton's of air being sucked in. Anyways I'm not mechanic but the niose you are hearing is coming from the front not the exhaust.

The whistle that "everyone" refer to is very faint. I've had a few people ask me if my tahoe was supercharged cus they can hear a whistle.

cincinnati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took me 30 minutes to get the S&B on. Also ordered from Autoanything.com - drop shipped directly from S&B.

Unfortunately, they gave me the wrong lid, so one of my screws does not line up. S&B is supposed to send me a replacement, but I've been waiting almost a month for that. Need to give em a call again.

The whistle sound, to me, simply sounds more like the engine is at a higher rpm than it actually is.
you got any pics of the finished install ?

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I gunned it a couple more times today and definatly notice it's quicker and I can hear the air moving through. But I'm kinda bummed because I love the whistle that both of my dad's cars give off. But I guess you can't expect the Volant to whistle really because the filter is still enclosed. Both of my dad's cars have exposed filters.

cincinnati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i guess the unboxed systems tend to have the "whistle" sound to them.

cincinnati

Full Access Member
Reaction score
snowing in georgia damn ! pics please of your S&B , and what is the big 3 upgrade?

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
S&B Intake installed

Attachments

• DSC_2009.jpg
    DSC_2009.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_2010.jpg
    DSC_2010.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 10

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Exactly what happened to me. But they did a great job handeling it for me. I had to wait a few extra days but got a free oil measureing kit out of the deal. S@B has great customer service. And it looks the best IMO.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I would call them back. i should clarify that they actually messed up the first time and forgot to even process the replacement. A week later I called back pist, and the lady overnighted the new box and lid with the cleaning/oiling kit.