Need Help. 2002 Tahoe Several Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommyadrian5

Reaction score
Hi and Thanks in Advance for any help or advice.

I have a 2002 Tahoe LT (5.3Z-Flex Fuel) with 95,000 miles which has been having a few issues lately.

1) Cold Start (<45 degrees) Rough Idle and Code P0300. When starting the car in cold weather it first revs up to 2000-2500 rpms for a few seconds, then drops down to 500 and idles very rough, nearly stalling but never actually cutting off. I often get a flashing SES light and code P0300. If it drive the car away the code goes off, and once the car warms up it idles and drives fine. I recently replaced both cats as I was getting cat efficiency low codes, that problem seems to be solved. I am occasionally getting a low voltage for bank 2 sensor 2 O2 sensor. I replaced bank 1 sensor 2 a while ago and have 3 new ones to replace the rest but haven't done it yet. Any ideas what could be going on? Could one bad O2 sensor be causing this. Why would it go away once the car is warm. Could it be dirty injectors? I use chevron techron fuel injector cleaner occasionally but doesn't seem to help.
The fuel filter was replaced prior to this winter, it did not used to do this, could they have put a bad or wrong fuel filter in? Dirty MAF?

2) Grinding noise from front wheels. I have recently been hearing a grinding noise from my front (left) wheel. It comes and goes, but when very cold is somewhat constant. It is also more apparent going around corners at highway speed. There is also groaning when braking at full wheel turn. Is this a wheel bearing? I have had 22's on the car for its whole life. The braking system was tested and checked out fine. It also has been having a problem with the ABS kicking in for no reason while parking but i think there is a TSB about this having to do with corrosion on the sensor.

ANY Ideas? THanks so much you all are great.

MDTAHOE1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For your first problem you probally need intake gaskets. Very common problem and your description fits it to a tee. You may want to post this in the proper section though this is for 2007+ truck people with the same year most likely can help you better

nc6600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Intake gaskets x2. Very very common problem on these trucks had mine replaced at 75k. 2nd prob im stumped sorry i couldn't be more help.

tommyadrian5

Reaction score
Can i get a price estimate of how much to do this? Just so I know what to expect when i take it in?

Thanks for the help.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Honestly the intake job is one a fairly mechanically inclined person can do. I also agree with the intake gaskets.

Your second issue reads like a bad hub bearing. Also an easy fix.

tommyadrian5

Reaction score
Thanks for both answers?

So I should be getting an intake manifold gasket and wheel hub assembly?

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
There are nore tests needed to be done by a person that can read and interpret the scanner values. There is also one test you can do to check your intake gaskets. Using a can of carb cleaner, you can spray around where the intake bolts to the head. What you will be listening for is a change in idle.

The hub bearing. when you make a right turn, do you hear the sound on the left? Make a left turn, do you hear it on the right?

The problem bearing is on the opposite side youre making the turn

TnTahoe

Reaction score
fix the hub bearing first before your wheel falls off like mine :(

TnTahoe

Reaction score
i dont actually have any pics, but i noticed a grinding noise coming from my front end while i was drive down the street but as my speed increased the noise stopped but every time i came to a stop the noise would start again each time getting louder, and on that final take off i was rolling and it sounded like someone had tossed some coins or something into the street (in which it was the actual bearings falling out of the hub) then my wheel didnt come completely off but damn near it, only thing that was holding it on was that it was propped up against like the strut or something

z3ro

Reaction score
The second problem you are having has to do with the hubs as mentioned.

The ABS kicking on at low speeds has to do with the ABS sensor in each hub. I recommend that you replace BOTH hubs. Usually they come with ABS sensors already mounted and they are already packed.

Get them from AM-Autoparts.com ($177 a PAIR) http://www.am-autoparts.com/AM/Front-Wheel-Hubs/Chevrolet/Tahoe/2002/

They come with the ABS sensors which are usually $60+ a piece.

TnTahoe

Reaction score
The second problem you are having has to do with the hubs as mentioned.

The ABS kicking on at low speeds has to do with the ABS sensor in each hub. I recommend that you replace BOTH hubs. Usually they come with ABS sensors already mounted and they are already packed.

Get them from AM-Autoparts.com ($177 a PAIR) http://www.am-autoparts.com/AM/Front-Wheel-Hubs/Chevrolet/Tahoe/2002/

They come with the ABS sensors which are usually $60+ a piece.

is that site legit

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody on performancetrucks or fullsizechevy is selling a pair right now I think. It's been a few days since I've been over there though.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, will the wheels realy fall off eventually?? This has been going on for a while on my hoe and I dont have the money to replace it right now. Will it hold up or is this something I should throw on a credit card (Dont like doing that) for safeties sake? Thanks guys. Oh, and is it pretty easy to do yourself or should I take it in?

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt' recommend waiting. If that bearing seizes up, that's bad news and it could potentially damage other parts or might be a safety hazard.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, thats what I was afraid of. I will have to get it in this next week then. Is it an easy install? Or is it better to take it to the shop?