Need help to ID my 1998 TAHOE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCMERICK

Reaction score
Hello All, I am New to the Forum and am requesting some help in Identifying Exactly what my Rig is. The Dealer that I Brought it from stated that it was a rare model called a "SPORT". So I may have a 1998 TAHOE SPORT. Is there such a Tahoe Model for 1998?
I know for certain that it is 1998 Tahoe. I was able to purchase a copy of the original factory invoice which indicates that it is an LS Model. Things get puzzling from there.
The invoice indicates that it is supposed to have an interior option code of 52D which is supposed to be: Neutral custom cloth trim, yet mine has full leather light tan seats. The invoice also states that it does have LS decor, yet I thought LS models had Cloth interior and LT would be leather??
The next item that baffles me is the instrument cluster. Instead of having what i have commonly seen as a Cluster with a black background and white letters on the speedo, mine has a White background with black letters and appears to be factory stuff. In the dark it has orange needles.
The exterior is different as well and again appears to be factory option stuff.
The Rig has Front and Rear Bumpers that are painted Victory Red the same as the Rig Body. What is different about the front bumper is that a short distance from center on each side it has rectangular (factory punch outs) and inserted into those holes are black painted billett aluminum grilles or louvers ( I have never seen them before) It also has what appears to be factory style fender flares which are also painted the same color as the Rig. There is NO LS or LT badging on it NOR is there a Chevrolet Tahoe emblem on the back. It also has 3.73 axle gearing and a locking rear differential as well as a front skid plate.
I am unable to show pictures at this time, But does anyone have any Ideas on what I have? Could it be a Z71? Any guesses would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!!!

clkelley

Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

Sounds like you may have a rare model, but I am not 100% on the "Sport" designation for 98 models. Although I would love to see pics, if you can post your VIN I can find out for sure.

TCMERICK

Reaction score
CLKELLEY,

Thanks for the reply, here is the VIN# 1GNEK13R7WJ349182

I appreciate your assistance

clkelley

Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal so far. Yes, they made a "Sport" package similar to a Z71 with the skid plate, etc. The thing I am running into with your VIN is that it is old enough that it no longer pulls up in the dealer computer for a build sheet. Also, when I go through the VIN attempting to Decode it, some of the characters do not match what should be in the VIN as possibilities for a 1998 model. So, I am still looking for a way to obtain a build sheet or something similar for you.

Shane87

Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal so far. Yes, they made a "Sport" package similar to a Z71 with the skid plate, etc. The thing I am running into with your VIN is that it is old enough that it no longer pulls up in the dealer computer for a build sheet. Also, when I go through the VIN attempting to Decode it, some of the characters do not match what should be in the VIN as possibilities for a 1998 model. So, I am still looking for a way to obtain a build sheet or something similar for you.

Jeep has a way to contact them to get a build sheet of your vehical I wonder if gm has a way to do that

clkelley

Reaction score
Jeep has a way to contact them to get a build sheet of your vehical I wonder if gm has a way to do that

You can usually go into any dealer and get one, we may have to contact GM customer service because when I tried to pull the build sheet, or anything at all about his VIN I got nothing.

But, as stated above as well, if it is still there the RPO Code list should be in the glove box.

My guess about some of the stuff on the truck is that it is aftermarket, ie: the cluster.

TCMERICK

Reaction score
I want to thank all who responded to my thread.
The Info below is from the factory invoice (I copied and pasted it here) which I had to pay 50 bucks to get. It does appear that after a certain amount of years GM no longer maintains the invoices and they archive them with a outside company. Hopefully, something here can she some light!!!
I am currently overseas and I do not have acess to the vehicle so i have no pics and I cannot get the glove box info. I may be just plain stuck until i get back stateside.
As I stated before though it is confusining because the truck has leather interior, what appears to be factory fender flares (same color as the truck) and bumpers painted same color as the truck, and the front bumper does have factory made cut outs in it with black painted billet aluminum grilles about 2 1/2 inches wide by about 5 1/2 long ..rough guess inserted). these are located several inches left and right of center on the bumper.

1998 TAHOE 4-DOOR 4WD CHEVROLET MOTOR DIVISION
74U VICTORY RED /V8G GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION
52D NEUTRAL CUSTOM CLOTH TRIM 30007 VAN DYKE
ORDER NO. 798PW7/TRS STOCK NO. WARREN MI 48093-2350
VIN 1GN EK13 R7 WJ349182 VEHICLE INVOICE 1AD99267311
***************************************************************13*39305S
MODEL & FACTORY OPTIONS MSRP INV AMT RETAIL - STOCK
CK10706 TAHOE 4-DOOR 4WD 31985.00 27986.88 INVOICE 11/06/97
AG9 SIX-WAY POWER DRIVER'S SEAT N/C N/C SHIPPED 11/06/97
AU0 REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY N/C N/C EXP I/T 11/18/97
A95 HIGH BACK RECLINING BUCKET 237.00 203.82 INT COM 11/18/97
SEATS WITH FLOOR AND PRC EFF 11/06/97
OVERHEAD CONSOLE KEYS NP28 NP28
C49 ELECTRIC REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER N/C N/C WFP-F QTR OPT-1
C5U 6,800 LB GVW RATING N/C N/C BANK: GMAC - 079
C69 AIR CONDITIONING-FRONT & REAR 550.00 473.00 CHG-TO 39-305
FE9 FEDERAL/NY/MA/CT EMISSIONS N/C N/C
GT4 REAR AXLE - 3.73 RATIO 135.00 116.10 SHIP WT: 5247
G80 LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL-REAR AXLE 252.00 216.72 HP: 51.2
K47 HIGH CAPACITY AIR CLEANER 25.00 21.50 GVW: 6800
L31 VORTEC 5700 V8 SFI ENGINE 0.00 0.00 GVWF: 3600
M30 4 SPD AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION N/C N/C GVWR: 3750
NP8 AUTOTRAC ACTIVE TRANSFER CASE 400.00 344.00 OPT 1: 28535.58
NZZ OFF ROAD SKID PLATE 95.00 81.70 NTR: 1/2
QGB P245/75R16 ALT WOL TIRES 140.00 120.40 DAN: LS4X4
UP0 AM/FM STEREO W/CASS & CD PLAYER 200.00 172.00 MEMO 1700.95
(REPLACES RADIO IN OPTION
PACKAGE)
ZW9 PANEL DOORS N/C N/C
1SB PREFERRED EQUIPMENT GROUP 1SB N/C N/C
CONSISTS OF:
* LS DECOR INCLUDES:
* AIR CONDITIONING
* DUAL ELECTRIC MIRRORS
* ALUMINUM WHEELS
* ELECTRONIC AM/FM STEREO
* RADIO W/SK&SC, DIGITAL
* CLOCK & CASSETTE W/ATC
* POWER WINDOWS
* ELECTROCHROMIC ISRV MIRROR
W/COMPASS & OUTSIDE TEMP
* COMFORTILT STEERING WHEEL
/ELECTRONIC SPEED CONTROL
* LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING
WHEEL
* COLOR KEYED FLOOR MATS
52D NEUTRAL CUSTOM CLOTH TRIM 0.00 0.00
74U VICTORY RED N/C N/C
** CONTINUED ON PAGE 2 **
THOROBRED CHEVROLET, INC.
1998 TAHOE 4-DOOR 4WD CHEVROLET MOTOR DIVISION
74U VICTORY RED /V8G GENERAL MOTORS CORPORATION
52D NEUTRAL CUSTOM CLOTH TRIM 30007 VAN DYKE
ORDER NO. 798PW7/TRS STOCK NO. WARREN MI 48093-2350
VIN 1GN EK13 R7 WJ349182 VEHICLE INVOICE 1AD99267311
***************************************************************13*39305S
MODEL & FACTORY OPTIONS MSRP INV AMT RETAIL - STOCK
** CONTINUED FROM PAGE 1 **
TOTAL MODEL & OPTIONS 34019.00 29736.12 ACT 237 29355.55
DESTINATION CHARGE 640.00 640.00 H/B 261 1020.57
DEALER ADVERTISING 340.19 ADV 65A 340.19
TOTAL 34659.00 30716.31 PAY 310 30716.31
MEMO: TOTAL LESS HOLDBACK AND
APPROX WHOLESALE FINANCE CREDIT 29215.96
INVOICE DOES NOT REFLECT DEALER'S ULTIMATE COST BECAUSE OF MANUFACTURER
REBATES, ALLOWANCES, INCENTIVES, HOLDBACK, FINANCE CREDIT AND RETURN TO
DEALER OF ADVERTISING MONIES, ALL OF WHICH MAY APPLY TO VEHICLE.
THIS MOTOR VEHICLE IS SUBJECT TO A SECURITY INTEREST HELD BY GMAC.
REMIT TO GMAC NO. 079
THOROBRED CHEVROLET, INC. VIN 1GNEK13R7WJ349182
$ 30716.31 INV 1AD99267311
DUE 11/18/97 DEALER 39-305

clkelley

Reaction score
I am honestly thinking that the leather interior, color matched bumpers and the cluster you spoke of may have been added/changed by a previous owner. AS for the factory cutouts in the front bumper, there are cutouts on all GM trucks for the towing hooks and those may be the ones you are talking about?

TCMERICK

Reaction score
I Know that everything very well maybe added stuff. I wonder though if there was an actual "Tahoe Sport" offered in 1998, where I might find pictures of one. This Rig has no badging what so ever on the body and the flares and bumpers match perfectly the truck paint. It does not show any indications of being repainted either. The "cut outs" in the bumper are centered top to bottom in the bumper, and the bumper appears to have been manufactured that way. These cut outs are not associated with the tow hooks which mine has as well. I may have to wait to get pictures and other info when I get home.
One thing that Knaws at me though is that the guy I bought truck from said that " it was a rare version, and that a buddy of his remmembers selling them from a dealership back in the day"
and that he had seen only a few built that way. I have seen a picture of one similar to mine but that does not prove it was a factory package.
I will have to settle on trying to gather other data I guess, Thanks for all of the asisstance.

clkelley

Reaction score
I still can't find a picture, but I have actually seen the sport models before, but neve one that wasn't black. They were usually two door, black, etc with a slanted "Sport" decal on the rear quarter panels. I am also still trying to decifer your VIN to see if I can nail down a build sheet for you.

TCMERICK

Reaction score
Thanks so much for you help. if I come up with anything i will be sure to let you know. I have seen 2 door models with the sport logo on them, but never a 4 door. The quest continues and thanks for all your interest and support.

squeasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen a number of photos of the Sport model. All are 2-door with the "Sport" logo on the B-pillar where you would normally find the LS/LT badge. Many of the photos have shown a truck in other than black so I don't think color is a criteria. Also, the Sport seems to have the rubber wheel guards. I have not seen a photo of the bumper you describe but there is a "limited" for model year 2000 that might be similar (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2000_Chevy_Tahoe_Limited.jpg).

TCMERICK

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, the bumper on my Rig looks just like the one on that Limited, but it has aluminum inserts where the lights are on that 2000 Limited bumper. Mine also does not have the bottom body moldings. I see that there is no badging on the B pillar where you would normally see it on a Tahoe. I am trying to get pictures of mine sent so that I can post them and possibly get a better ID.

Tahoe99

Reaction score
The bumper you have is from a GM trucks equipped with 6.5 diesels for cooling purposes. In 2000 GM used those bumpers on Tahoes Z71 and Limited but plugged them with fog lights. I think your truck was just a regular LS and someone added all this things.

clkelley

Reaction score
The bumper you have is from a GM trucks equipped with 6.5 diesels for cooling purposes. In 2000 GM used those bumpers on Tahoes Z71 and Limited but plugged them with fog lights. I think your truck was just a regular LS and someone added all this things.

Awesome, thanks for the info!!!:peace:

Tahoe99

Reaction score
Also, when I say in 2000, I mean for the GMT400 trucks (like yours). In 2000 there were 2 Tahoe styles, the new one GMT800 (2000-2006), and yours GMT400 (95-99,00). That is the beauty of those GM trucks, you can swap parts from 1992 thru 2000, adn mix and match the body accessories. Also, the aftermarket support is enormous. In 2000 they just had Limited, and Z71 model from the old boxy 400 platform.

TCMERICK

Reaction score
I truly appreciate all of the responses!! I am waiting to get pictures and the RPO codes from the glove box.

In reference to the bumpers,they may well be added on parts, but what baffles me is that the paint on both bumpers and the oem type fender flares match exactly the the color of the truck. The same level of fade and everything. I have seen a picture of a 1999 model, same victory red color in a Craiglist ad, but no other additional info.

As soon as I get pictures and RPO codes, I will post for further assistance.

Thanks to all who have responded.