Need helpfast Passlock is going crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nfamous60

Reaction score
I'm gonna giv everyone the full story so i can hurry and try to resolve this issue and get my trucc started.

short version i tinted the hell out of my 07 tahoe put HID's in my headlights and foglights, also added hyper whites to my highbeams. now i'm 25 and live in new york..long story short i messed my license up bad by not handling my tickets when i was suppose to license got suspened still drove got caught..now DMV suspended my registration because i left the plates on my trucc so i have to wait for a while til i can re-register.. now my problem is..

the trucc is garaged and i usually stop by ans start it every 2-3 weeks becuz of where it is and my workplace....now recently i went to start it and the security light flashed and wouldn't do anything....i tried and tried but no crank .. i checked my fuses everything fine still security light would flash whenever i turn the key... so found out the passlock system is acting up dealer told me to turn the key to on and leave it light should go out but it never does. epople on the internet say to take the steering column off and disconnect it start the truck then reconnect it ...now the problem it i dont want to break nothing on my truck and how do you take the cover off the steering column or has anyone else run into this problem??

some would say tow to dealer yes i can the tow there would be free i kno this but i have no registration so i would have to tow it bac and that bout $600 can't do that right now and it's been bout 3 months since i last started my trucc n just lost job so im looking for the cheap way out right now anyhelp would be great

sookeyukon

Reaction score
Unless you have another problem!

GM:

10 Minute Learn Procedure
Tools Required:
None

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlockâ„¢ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important
The vehicle learns the Passlockâ„¢ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlockâ„¢ Sensor Data Code and/or password.

Nfamous60

Reaction score
do i have to have the doors closed. everything locked can i roll the windows down the dealer told me to leave the key in the on position for 15 minutes and turn it off and try that 3 times....i'll give this a try and let you know i really appreciate it...

sookeyukon

Reaction score
do i have to have the doors closed. everything locked can i roll the windows down the dealer told me to leave the key in the on position for 15 minutes and turn it off and try that 3 times....i'll give this a try and let you know i really appreciate it...

Doors and windows are a separate matter that work from the key remote and nothing to do with the passlock.

Everything I've read states 10 min..thats the time it should take when your security light stops flashing.

When you try and start your vehicle...and it dies...leave the key to on position and the security light should be flashing....this flashing is about 10 min.

If it's not flashing...and is a steady light....have a clock.

Nfamous60

Reaction score
I've tried it and no luck.... i do not have a flashing light it's steady on and everything works but the clock it just reads ( : ) no numbers or nothing its crazy my check engine light is on also but thats from before it wasn't starting.. i got my steering colum cover off and i see the green and black wire was going to disconnect it but i didn't, i'm lost at the moment+

sookeyukon

Reaction score
I've tried it and no luck.... i do not have a flashing light it's steady on and everything works but the clock it just reads ( : ) no numbers or nothing its crazy my check engine light is on also but thats from before it wasn't starting.. i got my steering colum cover off and i see the green and black wire was going to disconnect it but i didn't, i'm lost at the moment+

I meant have a watch so you could time it! (the re-learn cycles)
If your power was off the vehicle/battery disconnected...your radio has to be re-learned as well. It states how to do it in your sevice manual. (you need to know your 4 digit number)

NOT 100% sure because you had nothing apart...but I think...a steady light means that you could have a Class 2 data circuit problem. It indicates that your "passward" from your key in the "passlock" is not getting sent to the (Vehicles Thieft Deterrent) thats inside your Vehicles Control Module. This shuts down your fuel log or injectors stopping the engine from starting. The vehicle might start, but then stalls after 4 sec or so.
It's like the vehicle thinks it's been stollen. That's too bad, if your light was flashing "and" your cycles were correct the car would have re-leaned the passward and started.
A problem could mean...but not limited to a open,shorted or grounded circuit....or a loose or open connector between these comunicating systems: SIP/PCM/VTD/VCM and perhaps the EBCM.

Security Insturment Panal
PCM - Passlock Control Module
VTD - Vehicle Theift Deterrent
VCM- Vehicle Control Module
EBCM - E Brake Control Module

I wish ya luck...let us know what you get figured out...it may help others down the road!

Last edited:

Nfamous60

Reaction score
I remember before it started acting up a spark went off in the back of my trucc where i keep my subs and amp i disconnected the amps it and a lil spark went off. paid it no mind i just noticed the fuse to my amp was blown......but makes sense that i could have shorted one of those units.. is there a way i can check them to see if they work or is it granted pay the money and go to the dealer??? if so would warranty cover it???

sookeyukon

Reaction score
I remember before it started acting up a spark went off in the back of my trucc where i keep my subs and amp i disconnected the amps it and a lil spark went off. paid it no mind i just noticed the fuse to my amp was blown......but makes sense that i could have shorted one of those units.. is there a way i can check them to see if they work or is it granted pay the money and go to the dealer??? if so would warranty cover it???

I don't think that you will get any kind of warranty.
Agian, as you stated you did some work...as well had a spark. Thats a bad thing with any kind of on-board computors. The security light flashing at the start and was informing you of security problem...and wouldn't start. Now when you try to do a re-learn the steady light is informing you of a loss in communication between the systems...(Update..I just found out the the EBCM) is part of the secruity system. Therefore as I stated prior....anyone of your units could be perhaps fried.

It would almost be imposible to try and resolve this issue without the correct test equipment to ID the fault/s....and as I tried before many outside shops don't have the special GM test equipment you require. Also don't try to fix by replacement yourself with the guess whats wrong game $$$$$.
Therefore, my suggestion to you is to have the Vehicle towed to a GM dealer....Have them "ONLY" tell you what the problem is (they will pull the fault codes with their equipment) and tell you what you need...NOW, after you know the problem/parts required...Tell them you can not afford to have it fixed at this time and have your Vehicle towed to a shop of your choise. Many other shops can get parts "away" cheaper then the overhead GM will charge you.....and labour charges to boot. So again..my friend, contact a good shop and explain your problem and let then know if you find out the problem will they order the parts and install..

PS I think at this point you can do nothing more :nonod: AND remember..from now on always "pull" computor fuses when you work on your Vehicle.
Cheers

Nfamous60

Reaction score
My Good friend "THANK YOU" in 2 messeges you actually gave me more info then i could find on the net and speaking with dealer personal. i been having this problem since bout nov-dec round about........since my registration is suspended for a few more months for not turning in my plates.. i'll just wait til i get my income tax and do as you stated...even though i fix still won't be able to drive it :hlp: lame joke....but i priced the units on ebay they're not that expensive as i thought atleast i have a base figure to work from once i find oput the problem unit...so i'll give it a whirl in a couple months...

once again thanks alot...once fix i'll let everyone with a similar problem know what i can across

....Oh will i cause anymore problems leaving it there with out starting? truck has 80% oil life and 1/2 tank of gas

sookeyukon

Reaction score
My Good friend "THANK YOU" in 2 messeges you actually gave me more info then i could find on the net and speaking with dealer personal. i been having this problem since bout nov-dec round about........since my registration is suspended for a few more months for not turning in my plates.. i'll just wait til i get my income tax and do as you stated...even though i fix still won't be able to drive it :hlp: lame joke....but i priced the units on ebay they're not that expensive as i thought atleast i have a base figure to work from once i find oput the problem unit...so i'll give it a whirl in a couple months...

once again thanks alot...once fix i'll let everyone with a similar problem know what i can across

....Oh will i cause anymore problems leaving it there with out starting? truck has 80% oil life and 1/2 tank of gas

Your welcome!...a couple of months setting shouldn't hurt. If your in a cold damp area put a small electrical heater inside on low heat turning it on every few of days. Your engine will be fine, but like the thread before said...add a tad of fuel stablizer so the gas won't vanish on ya! And yes..ebay is fine for a good deal or a good known rebuild company. Just remember depending what you need.....electronics are subjected to damage that you cannot see and you would never know prior if anything was wrong with it..(I mean if you buy a used part or rebuilt from someone on a personal level). I know "I" would first get a used part from a auto wrecker..parts are about 50% cheaper then new...and..(they should at least give you a week or so to confirm it works.)

So shop around and good hunting!

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll weigh in on this.
How many miles are on the Tahoe? Is it still under warranty? You said you're not working at the moment so you have plenty of free time, and assuming you're still under warranty, I'd return the truck to as physically stock as you can get it. That is, take the HID's off (which blind me most of the time), fog lights, lockpicks, and whatever aftermarket crap you installed. Take the sub and amp out (which is most likely, a lot safer because they're probably not properly secured down and will become a giant flying missle in the event of a crash), then call your dealer and play dumb.... AND BE NICE! It's none of their business why it isn't registered or tagged, and they shouldn't care. All you know is you can't drive it from where it's parked presently to the dealership and you don't know why. Have them come and pick it up. Now, $600 to put it on a roll back?....$600??!!....You don't have Triple A or towing rider on your insurance? Oh, and the sparks you saw?.... If it was just the amp supply lines shorting to ground, most likely you suffered no damage to the any on-board electronics. If you tape up, and hide the 12V supply lines in a professional manner, chances are, the dealer won't even see them.

Last edited:

bad63lac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Silly question but have you tried jump starting it?

If the truck has been sitting for that long, simply "starting it every 2-3 weeks" is not doing much to "charge" the battery. Most of the the charge from the alternator occurs at higher RPMs than idle speeds.

Your battery may have enough juice to power lights and other things but not enough to start the truck. It's happened to a few people here including myself.

My truck is only 6 months old and I've had a scenario where my accessories worked but my truck would not start. No crank, nada. Jumped it and off she went...

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure you have the Passlock or do you have the Passkey3 (or 3+) system?

What I have for the relearn procedures is this.

=======================================
PASSLOCK

The Passlock system is designed to prevent vehicle operation if the key is not used to start the vehicle. The key, which does not contain a resistor will turn the Passlock lock cylinder. The Passlock lock cylinder will relay a resistance code to the instrument panel cluster (IPC). It does this by rotating a magnet past a stationary hall effect sensor, creating a resistance code. At this point the IPC will determine if the resistance code is correct and within an acceptable time frame. If the code is correct, the IPC will send a coded password to the powertrain control module (PCM). If the PCM receives the correct password, it will allow the fuel injectors to operate normally and the vehicle will start and run normally. If the correct resistance code from the lock cylinder is not received within the acceptable time frame, the vehicle will go into a short tamper mode during which the theft deterrent system will not allow the vehicle to operate for approximately 4 seconds. When this occurs, the security indicator will flash. After three consecutive failed tries, the system will enter into a long tamper mode. In this mode, the fuel injectors will be disabled for approximately 10 minutes, and the security indicator will be flashing. Please note that in any of the tamper modes, the vehicle may start, but it will quickly stall.

The Passlock system is designed to prevent vehicle theft even if any of the theft deterrent parts are replaced. Passlock eliminates the need for the key mounted resistor. Parts that can no longer be replaced without the possibility of the system going into a tamper mode and prevent starting are: the lock cylinder, the instrument panel cluster (IPC), and the powertrain control module (PCM).

In order to initiate the relearn:

1. Hook up your scan tool to erase any of the passlock/vehicle theft deterrent trouble codes. If there are any other codes, note them before you erase them, so you may address them after the relearn has been completed.
2. With the ignition key in the “On” position from the code-clearing step, attempt to start the vehicle. At this point, if the vehicle starts, and the security light has not illuminated, a relearn is not necessary, and you’re done. If the vehicle starts and stalls, leave the key in the “Run” position and wait for the “Security” light to turn off. This will take approximately 10 minutes. At any time during this relearn, the light may flash or be on steady. If the ignition switch is turned off at any time during this relearn cycle that the security light is illuminated, the entire cycle must be restarted from the beginning. For most cars, one cycle will be sufficient for the relearn. If the vehicle will not start after the first cycle, then continue the process from step #3 to the end. Most trucks will require that you continue from step #3 to the end.
3. When the light turns off, turn the ignition switch to the “Off” position for approximately ten seconds.
4. Next, repeat steps 2 and 3 two more times for a total of three cycles. After the third time, the new code will be relearned on the next start attempt when the ignition switch is rotated from the “Off” position.
5. From the “Off” position, start the vehicle, observing the security light. If the vehicle starts and runs normally, and the security light is off, the relearn is complete. If the vehicle does not start, check for trouble codes before proceeding further.
===========================================

PASSKEY 3 AND PASSKEY 3+

In this system, the vehicle theft deterrent functions are provided by the theft deterrent control module. There is a transponder embedded in the head of the key that becomes energized by the exciter coils in the ignition lock cylinder when the ignition switch is turned on. The energized transponder now transmits a signal containing a unique value to the theft deterrent control module. If the module accepts this value, then there is an additional communication that takes place between the module and the key. If the module and the key agree, then the module sends the fuel enable password to the PCM. If the PCM recognizes the password, then the vehicle starts and runs normally. If any of the communication between the module and the key is incorrect or the PCM does not recognize the password, then the fuel injectors are disabled. The ignition key is a normal looking key with no visible contacts as in the Passkey or VATS systems. The transponder is located in the key head. The transponder value is fixed and cannot be changed. These keys are usually identified by the letters PK3, or PK3+ stamped into the steel body. A relearn will be necessary if any of the following have been replaced: any key, the theft deterrent control module or the powertrain control module (PCM). When the theft control module is being replaced, the module will learn the existing keys immediately. However, the PCM must learn the new fuel enable password from the new module. If you are replacing a PCM with a PCM that has been used in another vehicle or has been remanufactured, then a relearn must be performed in order for the PCM to learn the fuel enable password. Keep in mind that when you perform a relearn on this system, all previously learned keys will be erased from the theft deterrent control module’s memory. Any additional keys may be relearned immediately after the first relearn has been performed by inserting the additional key and turning the ignition switch to the “On” position within ten seconds of removing the previously learned key.

In order to initiate the relearn process:

1. Insert a master key (black head) into the ignition switch.
2. Turn to the “On” position without starting the engine. The security light should illuminate and stay on.
3. Wait approximately 10 minutes or until the security light turns off.
4. Turn off the ignition switch and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 two more times with the same key.
6. Turn the ignition off. The vehicle will now learn the key transponder information on the next start cycle.
7. Start the vehicle. If vehicle starts and runs normally, and security light is off, the relearn is complete.

sookeyukon

Reaction score
Dofd, you have a darn good point there..and I think you are right about him having a "passkey" for his year of vehicle...I don't know why I didn't think of his year.:confused2:.. (more then likely the reasons...mines a 01):rolleyes2:

Although close very close to the passlock relearn, it could make that differance - it sure wouldn't hurt him to try out the sequence cycles for it.

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh heck, easy enough to do. I would guess that most people wouldn't know which system they have if asked.

Hardin Thicke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was Passlock even an option on the years covered in the particular forum? I know it wasn't an option on my '07.