New and needs lots of tech help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StevenDangerous

Reaction score
Well i hate for my first intro post to be asking for help, but has to be.

First off, new to owning a tahoe here. but loved them a long time. bought a 2001 last week, its an interesting custom job.

The Good--its a 5.3L with 4wd. AEM brute Force intake, performance tune, dual tail pipes. Has HID low beams, led blinkers and tail lights, 2013 GMC rims, and interior from a heritage edition gmc as well. Rebuilt trans 8K miles ago by a local chevy dealership with full records.

The Bad - 271K on the clock. lifter noise is very noticeable until the motor warms up, and the rear end has a bit of a whine to it. (both are about to be pulled, thats why this is a help request not just an intro), also needs a wheel bearing (but thats nothing major).

now to the "I need help" part of all this.

I have heard some about a 6.0 dropping right in, and i want to know more about that. What all will i have to replace? would it be worth it since i already have a near brand new trans?

I guess thats about it for now. I am sure once i get deeper into this build that i will need more help lol. hopefully when i get done i can be a better contribution LOL rather than just leeching! but here she is, shes my SexyHoe

10009288_683196281719819_1535627631_n.jpg

1238755_683196235053157_50750891_n.jpg

Last edited:

07burb

Reaction score
1. :welcome:

2. I'm going to move this thread to the proper section so that you may get more help with your issues

Metaldrgn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are getting a knocking at startup that's normal for these engines as long as it goes away within a minute or so. My 01 Yukon xl has 360k on the clock and she's still running great though I'm not sure if it's had an engine change but from how it runs I'd speculate it's the original. Just watch your oil level.

I don't know about the 6.0 dropping in.

StevenDangerous

Reaction score
I have heard that from a few sources as well, my fear comes in because if i start it, while its making that noise, if i dont increase the RPM i am getting a "check oil pressure" light as well as the oil pressure gauge reads 0. once it gets warm though, no problems.
Thanks for the input my friend.

mattyserz

Reaction score
I had the same issue with the pressure gauge. I read it could be bad gauge, sending unit, oil pump, or worse case its done for, but you never know. Bad seals can cause it too. I'm new to mechanics so don't take my word for it. I will say this though, the '13 rims look sweet on our body syle.

StevenDangerous

Reaction score
i began thinking the same thing (bad gauge or sensor) because its pumping oil, and as for the rims, at first i was un-impressed, but the more i look at it, the more i think i like them lol. they are growing on me

Last edited:

Metaldrgn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be careful if it appears you might be losing oil pressure. I have both a Yukon and Tahoe but neither of them show low oil on startup but still made that noise.

StevenDangerous

Reaction score
that was my take as well. now its just coming down to rebuilding the 5.3 or swapping to a 6.0. i am having trouble finding out what kind of fab work will be required to do the swap, as well as a full parts list of things i will need to change. looked thru the forum but am having trouble finding it. tyvm dragon.

Metaldrgn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if it's just a bad gauge you wouldn't have to rebuild it. How bad does it consume oil? I would change the gauge first and see how it does. If oil consumption isn't bad (having to add 1 quart every ~2000-4000 miles depending on how much you drive it) I don't think a rebuild is in order unless you are having other mechanical problems or noises aside from the start up knocking. These are good motors as far as I've seen, just make sure the spark plugs and wires are good. I don't know what years were affected, but I've heard they have fuel pump problems. I'm experiencing one on my 02 Tahoe and I still need to replace the pump.

StevenDangerous

Reaction score
consumption is a bit high for my taste, 1qt for every 2k, the rebuild or swap is coming either way, i want this to be ready for a drive to california or a trip up one of the local trails at the drop of a hat.

Metaldrgn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well good luck with the rebuild. Are you doing the rebuild or having a shop do it?

Metaldrgn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's cool. why not reuse the one you have or are you talking about a used 6.0?

StevenDangerous

Reaction score
The current standing idea is to get another 5.3 used but running and install, then rebuild the original ourselves. We have done some deep projects before but never a full rebuild so it's going to be lot of fun for us both. Once everything gets up and running I will fully document and diligently photo all the steps taken :)

Metaldrgn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like fun! I've fully rebuilt a Chevy small block 350 gen 1 and 2 dodge 4.7L so you can ask if you have any questions or need any help. I've also pulled a head off my 02 Tahoe so I have a good feel for the inner workings of it. It's a awesome thing your wife likes helping out too. My wife helps a little, but it's not her thing.

Actually I may be doing an engine rebuild myself here if this engine tick has caused enough damage. It only happens at about 1900RPMs and above. I was hoping it was a lifter so I replaced all of them on the side that was making the noise and it still has the tick. I should have checked to see if the connecting rod or piston had play in it to see if it was a connecting rod bearing. I didn't think of it till after it was all back together and I heard the tick again. I should be able to remove the oil pan without pulling the engine, but if the crank journal is out of tolerance I'm going to have to pull the engine to replace the crankshaft.

samotahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome and that's not fair. I can get my daughter to work on the rides with me but the wife? that's a different story lol.

I dig it:cool: