Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Razorback58

Reaction score
Hey guys! I just wanted to jump on and say hello and say that I'm glad that I found this forum. I have a 2002 black Tahoe that is all stock except for the usual bug shield, window vents, and Cooper tires. I've been searching for ideas to update my ride and make it different than all the rest of the Tahoes out there, so hopefully this will be the place to get that information. I look forward to talking to everyone here!

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes yes, we need pics! What direction would you like to take with the 'Hoe? Lifted and big tires, lowered and big wheels? There are plently of folks who roll both ways here and can give you lots of good advice. There are very inexpensive ways to lift your truck a few inches, if thats what you want to do with it.

Razorback58

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys! The Tahoe is 2 wheel drive, so I don't plan on lifting it. I'd like to put larger wheels and tires on it, maybe a cold air induction and some other things also. I've been searching for tips on tricking it out, but this is the first place that I've found that is dedicated to modifying Tahoes. I need lots of ideas! :thumbsup: I love my truck, and want it to stand out! :cool2:

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get to your exhaust eventually too, make that 5.3 or 4.8 growl :cool2:

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys! The Tahoe is 2 wheel drive, so I don't plan on lifting it. I'd like to put larger wheels and tires on it, maybe a cold air induction and some other things also. I've been searching for tips on tricking it out, but this is the first place that I've found that is dedicated to modifying Tahoes. I need lots of ideas! :thumbsup: I love my truck, and want it to stand out! :cool2:

In that case, talk to JKMotorsports or Boostaholic - two of the nicest lowered rides on here IMO ;)

For mods, I'd recommend either an AEM Brute Force intake (dry, oil free filter design, really nice and low maintenance) or a Volant if you like the sealed airbox design. Then I'd go with either a magnaflow or Flowmaster 50 series muffler, or if you want to do a full kit, Gibson or Magnaflow catback. if you do the kit, MAKE SURE you opt for the stainless steel. Aluminized tubing is junk IMO, and rots out way too fast to be worth it.

Then, if you have any money left over, contact justin at www.blackbearperformance.com, and give your truck a whole new attitude with one of his custom tunes. :cool2:

Gomez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you haven't done so.... yulll should... SUPER DEBAGE THAT HOEEEEEEEEEEE

mattjames07

Reaction score
Yes yes, we need pics! What direction would you like to take with the 'Hoe? Lifted and big tires, lowered and big wheels? There are plently of folks who roll both ways here and can give you lots of good advice. There are very inexpensive ways to lift your truck a few inches, if thats what you want to do with it.

Please tell me how...I am new here as well and am looking to lift the hoe at least 2" and level it out.

Matt

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easiest and most inexpensive way to level the front of your truck with the rear is to get some torsion keys from a Ford F150 and install them in place of your stock torsion keys (they are about $25/each at a parts store). The Ford keys index differently, so you'll likely see about 1.5"-2" of lift in the front just by installing the keys, which will level it nicely with the rear.

I plan on doing the keys, rear coil spacers (89.99 for the set), and installing new shocks with little bit longer overall travel, since by lifting the truck you're going to max out the travel in the stock shocks. The shocks are not a really big deal if you don't offroad and can't do it right away, but it's something that will need to be done at some point.

All said and done, if you know the right people, you can get it done pretty cheap. I don't know how cheap exactly, that depends on who you know I guess...but if you're going to go with different shocks, spend money on decent ones. Rancho and Bilstein are really good from what I hear, and pro comp ES9000s aren't bad for the price. I've heard terrible things about the pro comp ES1000s, and not-so-great things about the ES3000s - so spend the money on nice shocks. The rest of this stuff is cheap, so thats where you want to sink your cash.

One last thing - you're going to be changing the geometry in the front suspension quite a bit by installing the keys, so you WILL need an alignment as soon as you get this done.

Here's a decent guide for the torsion key installation:
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums...keys-torsion-bar-cranking-replacing-tech.html