New Tahoe Owner Have A Few???????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baby2000

Reaction score
Well i just bought my tahoe today. I took it out for a test drive yesterday before i bought it. Anyways i got a really good deal that i why bought it. It run really bad. Under normal driving it is really smooth and runs great. As soon as i go full throttle it falls on it's face. It likre stubbles really bad and the rpms dont even go up and the studders really bad. It will not even shift. I got a check engine light and autozone said the code was po171 something with the mass air flow sensor. Can you guys please help me out. I already took off the K&N filter and cleaned it and the mass air flow sensor i am just wainting for it to dry and i will put it back on.

Untitled415

Reaction score
Tow im not sure of but i would try changing the fuel filter if that doesnt help u may need to change the fuel filter that is attached to the fuel pump.... the p0171 is most likely could be caused by the after market filter and i doubt it is causing this problem....

718frankb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
k&n filter oil can gum up your maf. clean the tb and lightly coat the clean filter

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on your truck? May need a timing chain. Mine used to stumble badly. I swapped the chain only because I was doing the front seal and that stumble went away. Then a year later, it came back, the inside of my distributor cap was all nasty.
Do a whole tuneup. Fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

baby2000

Reaction score
Well i cleaned the maf last night and the K&N filter and put it on this morning and it is still subling under full throttle. What i am going to do next is do a tune up. The truck has 164k on it but under normal driving it runs perfect. Iam going to do plugs, rotor, fuel filter. I plug wires are msd and they look to be in goo condition. Also what do i have to do to SEAFOAM it?

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I got my 95 Yukon at Christmas (156,000 miles), it ran poorly. It made the 2 hour drive home without problems, but was not what I'd call responsive. I dumped in a bottle of injection cleaner, and that worked miracles! I've since done other minor things, and not only is she running great, my fuel mileage increased 33%. I have a whole new tune-up kit ready to go when the weather breaks.

I have Seafoam which will go in the next tank of gas (I am NOT going to run it through the vacuum line as I don't want to rattle anything off that may cause some other issue later).

Just because your MSD wires look good doesn't mean they are. Test them with a VOM.

General Stalin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seafoam is a popular carbon cleaner that is used to clean you engine.

Anyway, you may want to change out some sensors too. It would be a good idea to replace O2 sensors, and maybe even your MAF sensor (it could be faulty). Sensors that read bad data can make the ECU control the engine poorly.

baby2000

Reaction score
Well i changed the cap and the rotor and took the it out for a spin and it seems to run a little better and rpms actually go up but they go up very slow and before they would not even move. The next thing i will be doing is the plugs, wires and fuel filter.