New to Tahoe's. Have a few questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03TahoeHawk

Reaction score
I've just purchased a very clean 2003 Tahoe 5.3L 4x4. I am interested in getting a leveling kit put on and have seen some that would give me 2.5" of lift in the front an 1" in the back. Does anyone have pictures of their Tahoe with that setup? Also, does this compromise the in-town drivability of the vehicle a noticeable amount? I really like how it feels on the road, although I do plan on installing some Z71 shocks as it is a little soft for my taste.

Also, what's the easiest way to figure out which rear-end I have? I think I've determined it has a 3.73 gear ratio, but I'm not positive. I'm hoping it isn't open, but it is what it is.

Lastly, if I didn't immediately get the leveling kit, does anyone know if 33" BFG All-Terrains would fit in the wheel wells without rubbing, or would I have to stick with 31's?

Thanks for any info anyone can offer. I know it's a lot of questions for my first post, but I'm really excited about this truck and would like to know more about it.

Thanks again!

needhelp02tahoe

Reaction score
Ok first off with the lift your talking about you won't really be able to tell a big difference but if you want to know what it'll look like find a newer body style and park next to it this is what you can expect and as far as tires go 33 will not fit and 31's will be tight on stock hight and you can go to ur local dealer and just ask him to look up ur rear end by vin number

jasonconway5

Reaction score
Im starting to thing this forum is garbage. I thought my posts were bad having 17 to 20 views and 1 reply or less. YOUR post here has had 355 views and only 1 reply. This is pathetic.

needhelp02tahoe

Reaction score
I agree

Yes this page has gone to crap my last post has been up for about 5 days and had 160 or so views and no replies maybe you could check it out and help me out post is .... Motor work very soon major or not?

03TahoeHawk

Reaction score
yeah, I was shocked when I got an E-mail saying I got a response (thank you by the way). This is the worst forum I've been on, hands down. I've been on several different forums, for several different subjects, and I will usually get a response within hours if not minutes. oh well.

Tex99Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, what's the easiest way to figure out which rear-end I have? I think I've determined it has a 3.73 gear ratio, but I'm not positive. I'm hoping it isn't open, but it is what it is.

Hey, 03TahoeHawk, best thing I can think of is to go to the kwicky-oil-change place, ask for diff fluid change, and while the cover is off, climb down into the pit with the guys (if they'll let you), inspect the carrier, and flashlight the endface of the pinion, looking for the tooth count number embossed on the face, like 41 / 12, which would be a 3.42:1 ratio.

TahoeYukonForum is better? Looked on there, I think you're right. I guess this is the kiddy pool, learn to dog-paddle, meet some other kids, then graduate to the 'deeper' pool...

03TahoeHawk

Reaction score
alright, I might try that. Thanks for the answers. Maybe I'll see you guys over on the other forum. I'm about done here.

lamneth

Reaction score
03TahoeHawk, there is a sticker in your glove box with a list of codes; those codes will tell you what options you have including what gear ratio. You can find the code list online with a simple Google search