New to Us 1998 Tahoe LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98BleTahoe

Reaction score
Hi there. We just got a new to us 1998 Tahoe with 70,000 miles on the clock. I have changed the oil and filter, filled the tires which are 2 yrs old to 35 PSI, and replaced all of the speakers except the front door tweeters just forward of the Window Switches. (Wow what a difference). Unfortunately I have noticed a whining noise especiallly from outside the vehicle, but can also hear it from the inside, and after reading through many of these threads, I may be hearing the fuel pump. So far the truck starts and runs just fine. I will soon be adding a 7 pin connector for our travel trailer at the rear bumper as well as a brake controller below the front dash next to the driver, as well as an auxilliary transmission fluid cooler in front of the radiator. I read some of the postings that indicated that the Fuel pumps whined for a year before they quit. Although I'm handy with tools, my garage is small, and I may have to take the hoe to the shop for the fuel pump replacement. With regard to connecting the Brake controller, up under the hood in the fuse box, there are two posts on the aft side toward the driver that seemed to be recommended by the manufacturer of the brake controller that I have ordered. I noticed that they are serviced by two 30 Amp fuses in front. I am wondering if it is possible to replace one of the 30 Amp fuses with an autoresetting circuit braker to feed the power to the brake controller as I would prefer that to the fuse so that I would not blow a fuse and then have no brakes on the trailer. With regard to the transmission cooler, does any one know which direction the transmission fluid flows from out of the transmission and into the radiator? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

98BleTahoe

Reaction score
Update. I have added the 7-pin connector at the rear of the truck, and installed the Brake Controller inside the cab. I was able to replace one of the 30 AMP Fuses with an Auto-resetting circuit breaker. I have installed the Auxialiary Transmission Fluid Cooler in front of the Air-Conditioner coils in front of the radiator. I also replaced all of the speakers inside with JBLs in the doors, and Kenwoods in the rear ceiling. We have yet to do any actual T'hoe-ing of the travel trailer yet, but that will happen within a few weeks.

clkelley

Reaction score
Sorry we missed your original post, I think I need to subscribe to more forum sections here to keep up with things better. But it sounds like you have a great start on a build thread for your ride! Thanks for sharing the results. Were there any functional modifications necessary beyond simple installation of the auto resetting breaker?

98BleTahoe

Reaction score
No modifications were needed. I simply pulled the 30 amp fuse and plugged in the circuit-breaker that was the same size. This was in front of the Auxiliary "A" terminal post that now feed power to the Trailer Brake Controller.

98BleTahoe

Reaction score
We just returned from Towing our 6100 GVWR Travel Trailer last week, and the Tahoe performed very well. However, the Check Engine Soon light came on after I had to put my foot into it to accelerate up to 55 Mph when I merged onto the freeway. While we were at camp, I did not have my code reader with me, so I decided to disconnect the negative battery terminal for a couple of hours to clear the code. That did the trick until on the trip back home, we had to climb a 6% grade pulling the TT, and I once again had to put my foot into it. The Check engine soon light came back on, and after I got home I read the code P0300. That was the only code, so I cleared it, and so far it has not returned. This morning though, I noticed a small puddle below the drivers side radiator about 1/8 cup in volume, and checked under the hood, where I noticed that the Drain plug looked like a replacement was a light green in color, but I also noticed some corrosion around the bottom engine oil cooler connector going into the radiator. Has anyone replaced their radiator with one that is made from All Aluminum, or is that a no no with this new fangled Dex Cool?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0300 is random missfire, might start with a tuneup - cap, rotor, plugs..... Make shure you go OEM on the cap / rotor ....

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you hail from? Where were you towing at?

98BleTahoe

Reaction score
We are in Los Angeles, we were towing out on the I 10 Freeway East of LA toward AZ. On your last post, by OEM do you mean AC Delco?

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OEM, yes AC Delco.... Aftermarket/ store brands dont always seem to hold up long for me and many others who have gotten tired of trying them......

ma87k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you can get rid of the dexcool. Use the tried and tested green fluid. Read up on the dexcool. I changed and have no problems. Don't mix together. Even if the green fluid says it can. Why take the chance.

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i bought my HOE with 181k it had green go go juice not dex cool drained radiator from the butterfly at the bottom and flushed with reg hose water then tightened everything up put orange go go juice(dex cool) from autozone and so far EVERYTHING has turned out well! :D