New wheels/tires warranty questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon Joe XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is always a popular thread.
I am looking into changing my 17" OEM tires to the 20" GMC chrome wheels and tires. This was something I wanted when I bought it new in Sept '08 but relented due to availability at the time and the dealer dropped the price down for it. The GM accessories site mentions: If you add wheels or tires that are a different size than your original equipment wheels and tires, this may affect the way your vehicle performs etc.... and what concerns me is this caveat:
These changes in vehicle performance are not covered by the GM New-Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Has anyone had problems GM would not cover due to a change in wheels? I am putting on GMC wheels and approved tires that are sold with this vehicle anyway. I know the computer may need an adjustment for the sensors,mileage etc....but the change in performance for the warranty should be minimal.
I can get the wheels/tires for $2000 on Ebay from a takeoff or thru the GM site for $1500 or so more w/ tax. (same wheels and tires)
Sorry for the rambling but now i'm sorry I didn't just wait for exactly what I wanted , leftover or not:confused:

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going from one OEM size to another is not going to affect anything. No reprogramming will be necessary unless you choose a wheel/tire combo that has a different overall diameter.

The only time you're going to adversely affect performance (i.e braking and handling) is if you plus size your wheels to something huge and much, much, more heavier than the 20" OEMs (or the 22" OEMs since the Escalade uses the same platform).