Newb question here. I apologize in advance.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigwhitleystyle

Reaction score
Hey guys, this may frustrate some of you, or perhaps you may find some of this humorous, but I have to ask because I'm not sure where to go for help. I'm currently considering purchasing a used Tahoe, preferably an '04, but I'm open to other years and other people's opinions.

Basically, I'd like to know what years and models that you guys recommend. Any input would be greatly appreciated. If it helps, I don't plan on using it for much, if any, offroad or snow driving. I'm really just looking for a big, comfortable and attractive SUV.

This next part is where it gets somewhat embarrassing I guess. I'm 21 years old and a full time college student/part time employee and I know next to nothing about vehicles. In fact, I've never even performed an oil change on a vehicle. I desperately want to learn all there is to know about vehicles and engines and such though. When I purchase my Tahoe, I would like to be able to perform all of the maintenance and work to improve performance and keep things running well in order to keep the truck running for a long time.

Sorry to ramble on, but basically I just want to know where to start. Where did you guys learn to do all of the work on your trucks? Do you recommend someone with little experience working on their own trucks? I'm hoping to save money and gain knowledge by doing the work myself, but at the same time I'm worried about messing up my new investment. Any help regarding how you guys became so knowledgeable would be greatly appreciated. This would be my first vehicle purchase and I'm the kind of person that wants to know everything about how things work and how to maximize performance.

Sorry if any one you found this completely stupid, but at least I admit my ignorance. Thanks guys.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I learned how to work on trucks because I was always broke as fvck and didn't have the loot to pay anyone else, I guess I disassembled and fixed a radio when I was 5 so I kinda liked taking stuff apart since birth. Use the search feature as most topics have been discussed in great detail. Lots of nice people on here that will guide you in the right direction. Any 99+ tahoe/yukon will be a great truck, I prefer the yukon denali for the larger engine and trim but the 5.3 is a great motor in a tahoe or yukon. You won't have to do a whole lot of maintenance on these trucks because they frequently click over 200k without much more than a transmission rebuild. Welcome to the site :cheers:

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
What ever you decide to buy have it thoroughly looked at, and as long as you take care of it 200k+ on the mileage is doable as most people get new car fever and just trade them in, but find the vehicle you like and drive the heck out of it. Welcome to the forum of people that know a good thing when they see it.

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have an 03 with about 75K on the clock,love it so far, just try to find low miles on whatever year you buy, newer isnt always better. as far as workin on your own ride dont be scared, the people on here are very knowledgable and will help you as much as possible. i learn new things on here all the time which in turn increases my confidence to work on my ride.

zeokter

Reaction score
The latest consumer reports issue has all the info you'll need on all of their Chevy Tahoe test results (years 2002-2007)..My mom just got it in the mail and i checked it out today... sucks though cuz theres no info on mine cuz i have an
2001'

-go to chevy used car test results section

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got an 04 I love it . i had a choice of getting a new truck but i chose the 04 since parts are freaking easy to come by compatible to many other models ,
5.3 is a great engine for torque and it's very dependable at least it was for me. pickup a repair manual like other have said ..it's the best way of doing anything is to read about it.