Newbie Mech's "How To"- Transfer Case Lube Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another simple service your truck will thank you for if its been a while. If your wondering why this thread is here, read my "how To" differential change thread. Anyways, You should know again, that your transfer case fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles, or two years. The t case holds two (2) LTRS. My t case is a NP8, so depending on what your truck has, you might need to go the GM and buy there rip off "Auto-Trak 2" transfer case fluid :mad2: . If you are not sure about what type you have, I would call up GM and ask. Or you can look up your vin number and figure it out, but I think there are like five or six different varients of t cases so make sure before you go buy plain transmittion fluid. The time frame for this project is going to be one (1) beer because it is very simple. If your like JK and you like to have a good time while you get your fluid change on, you can push it to six beers.

PICT0104-1.jpg

Things you will need....
1. Two ltrs of Auto Trak 2 fluid (depending on your vehicle)
2. A pump of some type (autozone has a nice 10$ one)
3. A drain pan
4. Shop rags
5. 19mm socket and a 3/8 drive ratchet
6. A beer of your choice

PICT0102-1.jpg

PICT0109-1.jpg

Helpful additions (not required)...
1. Floor creeper
2. Drip pan

Procedure:
1. Drive around a little to get the fluid warm. Remove fill bolt (above drain bolt obviously) with the 19mm socket.
2. Place drain pan a little away from the drain bolt, the fluid will have some momentum.

PICT0106-1.jpg

3. Remove drain bolt, let the fluid drip for a while. If you have the truck on jack stands or ramps, it helps a little because the hole is angled down.
4. Clean both bolts. There are not magnets on them like the differential's, but mine had thread sealer, so a wire brush or pick helps get that crap off. Clean the surface where the bolts sit and re-install the drain bolt.
5. Get your pump or whatever you are going to use to get the fluid in, and start filling. If your truck is on jack stands still, you might want to lower it off. It makes it harder, but you will be able to get more of the fluid in since the bolt will be level again. You want to fill the t case up till the fluid is at the rim.
6. Re install the fill bolt. If you are not useing new thread sealer and you took the old stuff off, you might need to tighten the bolts down a little harder. Not so they are as tight as they can be, mine still had a few threads left showing.

PICT0107-1.jpg

7. Drive around, check for leaks, and your set. :cheers:

Hope this helped if you were planning on changing your t case fluid. Its a simple drain and fill job, but people still mess up (wrong fluid, not enough fluid, wrong tools...ext) You experienced guys have any tips, tricks, feedback, alternative methods, lets have them. Even you can do this cris! :fu:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
The time frame for this project is going to be one (1) beer because it is very simple. If your like JK and you like to have a good time while you get your fluid change on, you can push it to six beers.

:D :cheers:

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Another great tip! Thanks (even though I don't have 4wd:) ). But I know a lot of other people here will find this useful.

tekkitan

Reaction score
any way to attach these pics to the thread? photobucket pics seem to be dead =\

scomo

Reaction score
I did this a couple weeks ago and would like to add one thing. Make sure you have a good pump before you drain the TC. I went to every parts store in the greater Tulsa area and never found a good one. I ended up going to Wal-Mart and purchasing a Turkey Baster. It took about an hour to pump 1.5 quarts, but I managed to get it done that way. I would not suggest this method. :ktoe:

Advance Auto sells what looks to be a good pump, but look closely. That particular pump is designed to fit a standard gallon size container and will not work with a quart bottle. Auto Zone sells what also looks like something that would work. It has two long orange hoses that both attach to a black pump. This will also not work. It was designed to siphen gas - transfer case fluid is too thick to flow through this device.

I would suggest buying 8-10 feet of vaccum hose. Have a friend hold one end of the hose in the fill hole of the transfer case while you hold the other end while standing next to the Tahoe. With a funnel, slowly pour the fluid into the vaccum hose. Make sure the end you are holding is higher than the fill hole of the transfer case and you should be able to full it up with little difficulty.

Hope this helps anyone who decides to attempt this. It is not a difficult maintenance procedure if you have the proper means of transfering transfer case fluid into your transfer case. :thumbsup: