Noise @ Steering Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCMSr513

Reaction score
I am the original owner of a 2011 Chev Tahoe LTZ with just under 100,000 miles which has developed what sounds like a squeaking noise at the steering wheel. So far, they have checked and discounted the firewall steering column gasket, the steering wheel clock spring and most recently the intermediate steering shaft. The latest diagnosis is the entire steering gear assembly. Before spending another $1500 +/- which may or may not resolve this issue I am wondering if any other owners have dealt with a similar issue. I was advised that this is not a safety issue but more of a nuisance but for someone who takes pride in his vehicle it is hard to ignore. Short of increasing the radio volume (which was suggested by one shop) I am not fond of throwing more $$$ at this problem with no guarantee that it will completely resolve the issue. Other than this issue the vehicle is in almost new condition and I have no interest in trading given the current market conditions.

John M.

JCMSr513

Reaction score
Update 11/18/22
Noise still noticeable coming from area of steering wheel. Sounds like plastic rubbing on plastic. Using a listening ear device sound appear to be coming from the area of the steering clock spring. Already tried replacing the steering clock spring with no noticeable change but parts were not OEM. Tried again using OEM parts with no improvement. Most noticeable when turning at slow speeds. There is no vibration or grinding sound....only a low moaning or squeaking sound. Would like to hear from anyone who has experienced a similar problem. The next step will cost $1200 to $1500 with no guarantee that this will fix the problem.