not working power door mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corvhoe7795

Reaction score
I just bought a 1995 green 4 door Tahoe with 75,000 miles on it. The passenger doors power mirror moves up and down, but not side to side. Mechanics is nothing new to me. Although before taking the mirror apart I'd like to know what might be it's problem and what I should be looking for. Oh, I'm new to this place so, hi ya to everyone.

swanie2000

Reaction score
I just bought a 1995 green 4 door Tahoe with 75,000 miles on it. The passenger doors power mirror moves up and down, but not side to side. Mechanics is nothing new to me. Although before taking the mirror apart I'd like to know what might be it's problem and what I should be looking for. Oh, I'm new to this place so, hi ya to everyone.

I have the exact same problem, on both mirrors of my 95. I recently replaced the mirror motors on my 93 BMW, at 50 bucks each. For the Tahoe, I will most likely just replace the entire mirror assembly, both of them, for about 60 bucks on Ebay.

If someone knows a fix, I would like to hear it as well.

Swanie

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine do the same thing. drivers wont go right, and passengers only goes up and down. i have 2 new mirrors to go on tomorrow tho. hopefully this will fix it. i assume since they move in opposite ways from each other mine obviously wasnt the switch. got em off of ebay for 60 bucks as previously mentioned.

swanie2000

Reaction score
mine do the same thing. drivers wont go right, and passengers only goes up and down. i have 2 new mirrors to go on tomorrow tho. hopefully this will fix it. i assume since they move in opposite ways from each other mine obviously wasnt the switch. got em off of ebay for 60 bucks as previously mentioned.

Please report back how it goes. I would like to know about the fit and finish of these mirrors? Do they look as good as OEM, or are they a cheaper plastic? Thinner material? I was holding off getting them, as I just thought they were too cheap, to be a good replacement.

(You get what you pay for). Right?

Also, the OP stated only about the passenger side mirror, so I would guess that since he didn't mention the driver’s side, it must work. If it does work, up/down/right/left, most likely the switch is ok.

I think it is a common problem with these mirrors, and after spending a few hours messing with the BMW power mirror, I came to the conclusion it was not fixable, just wore out.

On my mirrors, you can hear the motor trying to move the mirror from side to side, and sometimes they will move a little, but for the most part, they are useless. For this reason, I am thinking it is not my switch either, just the mirror motors are wore out.

Swanie

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, from the initial look, they're great. they look amazing, and they even fit really well. unfortunately, due to orlando's drivers, i was forced into getting the new mirrors...
IMG_0527.jpg

and the other side of the old,
IMG_0526.jpg

now for the new!
IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

IMG_0546.jpg

now, the fit looks a little off, but thats only because i lost a nut on each mirror, go figure. but my hands dont work well in tight spaces when its cold. and yes, 40 is cold to me, its florida. lol. im going to get some more nuts for it and it will fit fine. i tested it while holding the other mirror on with 1, but i wasnt about to drive it like that. but even so, with 2 nuts, theyre still very sturdy.

NOW, on the previous not working mirror note..
my truck was aparently a mix of the switch and bad motors.. go figure. i fixed 2 directions, and am still missing 1. i'll get a switch this weekend and hopefully that will be the end of these mirror issues.

swanie2000

Reaction score
Would you mind posting a link to where you got the mirrors? Or at least, the Ebay user name, so I could be sure I am getting the same ones. If your happy with the fitment and look, that says it all....:thumbsup:

Thanks
Swanie

corvhoe7795

Reaction score
My dad also has a 95 along with 4 old classic cars. He's from the old school where ya rebuild carbs, starters etc and ya look for the problem first. He knows his stuff, anyway we know my switch on my 95 is fine for the mirrors. He remembered there's 2 screws under the mirrors holding a panel on. Once it gets a little warmer we want to see what's behind and up above this panel, inside the mirror. We're thinking there's 2 motors inside and maybe the one that's not working can be made to work again? Does anyone have or can anyone take a picture of their old mirror insides that they replaced?

corvhoe7795

Reaction score
I forgot to mention, your new mirrors look great, really nice! I looked under my mirror and seen 3 or 4 screws under the hinged area. Not like he thought under the mirror itself with a panel. But I guess those screws under the hinged area is a start in taking the mirror apart. I'd love to get at mine, but it's way too cold. It's 4 degrees out there right now at 10am. Lets us all know what you find out.

97srad750

Reaction score
I ordered the same mirrors. I liked them better then the originals. If you get them though don't forget to put the rubber seals on. I forgot to put in on my drivers side, so I had to redo it. Luckily I have small hands so it's not that hard a job to do.

Last edited:

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i tried to take em apart, but i dont have a torks set at my apartment. i looked behind the mirror tho, and it honestly looks like the motors are all 1 piece. theyre basically screw driven, and screw in or out accordingly.

corvhoe7795

Reaction score
Okay I'm understanding more now, screw driven huh, that's makes sense. Too bad ya didn't have the Torx, but you didn't need them anyway as you have the new mirrors on. But thanks for looking inside. I can't wait till I get inside mine, I know it can be made to work again. I put some pictures of the 2 Tahoes in my album if you or anyone else wants to check 'em out. I have to find out how to get the little thumbnail picture in now.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha yea those 10mm nuts are buggers.. you need like swivel heads to get in there and deff. to get that back on.. good thing my doorpanel was off when i did mine, lol i dropped that damn thing i dont even know how many times.. but make sure u dont strip the bolt and to take the nut to your ratchet. it helps.. lol..

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, i definitely didnt have the tools. lol. i had a 10mm wrench and a 10mm socket and extension. lol. i was tempted to take the door panel off, but i opted not to. lol. i'll just go to the junk yard and get like 4 more nuts just in case i lose a few more. lol

swanie2000

Reaction score
mine does this to and sometimes it works. it's the switch

I Came home today, and took my switch apart. I was surprised to see there are two completely separate circuits for each direction, and it is VERY POSSIBLE (for example) to have the "left" arrow switch contact work only while it is switched over to the drivers mirror. Switching over to the passenger mirror, and pressing the same "left" arrow switch, uses a completely different circuit.

To say it a different way....The up/down/left/right buttons working on one side is in no way an indication that they will work on the other!

I stand corrected!

qlc1964 had it right from the start:thumbsup:

I do believe it is the switch. Mine had a burnt trace on one side, and a split drink got in there as well.

Swanie

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i will be replacing my switch next. but i know for sure my motors in the passenger side mirror were bad. i now have directions i didnt before. it could be a mix of both. you never know..

swanie2000

Reaction score
well i will be replacing my switch next. but i know for sure my motors in the passenger side mirror were bad. i now have directions i didnt before. it could be a mix of both. you never know..

I am sure the motors can go bad, and you clearly needed new mirrors anyway. I was just posting this info, for the record, in case it may help another member here, in the future. You can never have enough information!

I ordered a new switch, 27.50 shipped (new) from Ebay. I know my switch is toast, but I am not sure about the mirrors, just yet.

Thanks for the link, if needed, I will pick up a set of mirrors as well, but wanted to wait to see if the switch fixes my problems.

Swanie

corvhoe7795

Reaction score
Got my mirror working this past Saturday. I was holding the button for it to move towards the cars door while my dad sprayed silicone in behind the mirror. After about 2 minutes of him drenching the thing it started working. We have to assume something was stuck and dirty inside. It's so hard to see behind the mirror glass, but hey I'm happy now. We don't think it was the switch as I musta tried that 100 times in the last 2 weeks. So, who knows, did the silicone do it or did it just decide to start working again???