OEM Fog light addition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SENECA

Reaction score
I have an 07 LS that did NOT come with fog lights and was told that what I needed in order to add fog lights was the 2 lights,2 harness wires,and the fog light/headlight switch and then have the vehicle programmed for fog lights .I bought all these items,installed the lights and the switch and I cannot find where the harness's (that plug into the fog lights on one side),plug into the main harness in the vehicle.
Any assistance in this would awesome.

Thanks

Okla-by God-homa

Reaction score
I was told by the parts rep that they plug in to the back of the headlamps. He said it's a "piggyback" affair. Hope this helps. I had my add-on's done by the dealer as an after sale deal. Honestly I just lucked out that they offered to do it all for free.

SENECA

Reaction score
Thanks for that.I just brought mine to the dealer last week and they said that LS's do not have the proper harness to accept OEM foglights and the associated harness.

I will look into this further with this information you have given me though.

One question,does the OEM fog light switch work or do the foglights just come on with the headlights?

Thanks in advance

Okla-by God-homa

Reaction score
You must activate the fog light switch every time you want to turn them on. Personally I think it's a pain in the ass to not have them "remember" the last way they were before the ignition was turned off.

Enjoy

SENECA

Reaction score
Ok,thanks.I will look into this option further,I guess the local dealer doesnt know what they are talking about.
What is your dealers name and maybe I can tell my local dealer to contact yours.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must activate the fog light switch every time you want to turn them on. Personally I think it's a pain in the ass to not have them "remember" the last way they were before the ignition was turned off.

Enjoy

i am acully very happy about that because here its illeagle to use "extra" lights including fog lights enless the weather is bad. like fog, snow, rain, wind, etc. why the stupid conservatives that run this place did that is beyond me !!:mad2: :mad: :cuss:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of folks out there that like to be cool :cool2: and run their fogs all the time. Even saw a blonde the other day with 'em on. :smilielol: :giggling: :clapping: :cya: :rolleyes2:

SENECA

Reaction score
Ok,I got it right this time.It is a little more involved than just splicing onto the parking lights but it works perfectly with the OEM switch and is independent of the parking lamps the way it is supposed to be.
I ran 2 wires from the fusebox under the hood (fuse 27) one to each foglamp purple wire on the plug in harness that goes to the foglights.I then ran the black wire from the foglights to the horn bolt and used it as a ground.It works perfectly in auto mode day and night.
For the fuse power I used a fuse power splice I got from PepBoys and ran both the power wires that go to the foglights into the jumper that comes off its fuse block.
If you have any questions let me know.The other way works but the foglights come on automatically when it gets dark and you cant turn them off.This way is the way it was meant to be.

Below is the schematic for a Tahoe/Suburban with foglights.You will see where the #27 fuse comes in.The thing is the fuse and Foglight relay are in the Hoe but are not hooked up to anything below the fuse box.If someone has a female fuse block plug they could actually wire the foglights into B5 where the foglights would be wired on the other harness.

http://chevrolet.justanswer.com/vie.../service.gm.com/engif/000/001/701/1701118.gif

Here are some diagrams and schematics on the foglight install.Everything is basically there excapet for routing of the "aftermarket" wires which is fairly easy.
For me I removed the headlights after dropping the front bumper cover a tad.Then the wiring was easy to do.I even used some of the exsisting convuluted tubing to run the wire from the fuse box to bheind the grill which is where I used my own tubing to run the wires to the foglights.I then zip tied the tubing in place and hooke up the wires and grounds.

http://chevrolet.justanswer.com/questions/yfxp-wire-oem-foglights-07-tahoe

jpmaniac87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got an LS that has the factory switch, that will turn on an indicator light, for fog lights, but no fog lights... should i already have a harnes?

SENECA

Reaction score
You may have the factory harness required from the fuse box under the hood to the fog lights.You will have to check and see if there are the two dongles in the area of the fog lights in order to plug them in.Mine did not have them so that is why I had to run wires from the fuse for the foglights (which mine did have) out to the fog lights.
Mine did not have a switch that would turn on the indicator light though but when I bought the correct switch it did turn on an green foglight indicator in the dash.
Worse case scenario is you would have to do what I did and run the wires yourself.

jonheese

Reaction score
Do you happen to have the part numbers for the parts needed handy?

I'm trying to get the parts necessary to add fogs to my '07 LS, and I found the "w/fog" headlight switch with no problem on gmpartsdirect.com, but I have a couple of questions about the lights and the harness.

The parts catalog lists a few different items under fog lights, and I'm not 100% sure about which I need:
"Fog lamp assy, tahoe, w/o off road pkg. $60.53
Fog lamp assy, tahoe, w/off road pkg., right $65.35
Fog lamp assy, tahoe, w/off road pkg., left $65.35"

"Off-road package"? Does that mean the Z71 package? I don't have that, so I assume that I want the first one, right?

Also, is this for the pair (I wish), or do I need 2 of these?

Then there's the harness. The only item I could find that looked like a fog light harness is this (under "Front Lamps" -> "Fog Lamps" -> "Harness"):
"Harness Back - Chevrolet tahoe W/o z71 - Chevrolet tahoe W/o z71 $8.17"

Does this seem like the right part? There is an illustration for this one, and it looks like a single-wire harness, though it may just be a crummy picture and actually be two wires.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer on this.

Regards,
Jon Heese