Off Topic I think. Stereo related though

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so my question are about dynamat( or its equivalent). I want to take out the crappy foam insulation thats in my other truck, and replace it with dynamat. My question is, whats the best way to remove old insulation (1983 chevy silverado) without scratching the paint. This thing is from cali, AND ITS MINT AND HAS NO RUST.
also, when I dynamat a pickup truck, is it worthwhile to do the pillars and the roof? or is that wasteful? my goal is to reduce road noise and make the cabin quiet. its not so much for keeping the tunes in, but more to keep the noise out and make it more posh inside with the quiet vibe.

thanks in advance.. I just hate all the forums im in except this one. the hot tod forums are knobs and so is the car audio forum. some of those dudes are jerks.

Pete

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not sure about how to remove the old foam,but as for dynomating the roof,i don't think would make that much difference,i could be wrong though,seems like that be more stereo db to keep them in

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roof would make a ton of difference in rain though. You would definatly have less noise there, but floor and doors are really all I would insolate IMO.

( i know where your coming from on other forums LOL)

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
A lot of road noise can be eliminated by using really dense jute (padding under the carpet). Dynamat will help, but another layer of jute will make it that much quieter.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jute. I read about it on LMC I think.. they have both thermal insulation, and sound deading material. I guess I would like whatever is the best and takes care of both situations at once. I wont drive this truck in winter becuase I live in Rustconsin.. The stock stuff is all crumbly and half stuck on the floor of the truck. when I pulled the original carpet, it was all ratty and parts of it tore ( near the drivers pedals and heavy wear areas)
My goal is to have some kind of dynamat or something, a new molded carpet from LMC ( or bulk if someone kn ows where to get it, or has other ideas) new plastic trim throughout the cab, and a new dash pad.

I think when someone says that they have a "california car" they mean "my dash is all flakey and cracked and broken" :) I think the car gets baked from the sun all year round.

I pulled the stereo out and I think JK would get a kick out of the install.
no soldering, dude used wire nuts on everything, and I found wires under the carpet WITHOUT wire ties, just twisted and pressed against the metal floor.

No wonder it didnt work. today Ill pull out everything related to the stereo and set it up on my bench and see if I can use the 12v power supply and my ipod with RCA jack to make it work.
Aiwa head unit, visonik amp (lol) and some pioneer 3 ways and some other random junk this dude had in there. he had the amp bridged, running the 3 ways and some 220w 5" somethingand for "door" speakers, he had 4 1" tweeters screwed to the back wall of the cab,. nothing in the actual doors.
anyway, its my winter project and I hope I can talk to you guys about it here, my only favorit forum.
thanks again for the pleasant conversations, and Merry Christmas eve.

Pete

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha sounds like he hacked that up.. lol.. u should post some pics of this thing to get me going. and as for christmas eve.. Yea happy one to you 2..

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah thanks for the replies. Ill post some pics tomorrow if I can get out of this whole christmas thing.

Seriously, dudes. Merry Christmas. I didnt get a chance to say that last year.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You technically were 34 minutes early. So that doesnt really count.. ahah im just kidding.. but Hey u 2 man..

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah Thanks For The Replies. Ill Post Some Pics Tomorrow If I Can Get Out Of This Whole Christmas Thing.

Seriously, Dudes. Merry Christmas. I Didnt Get A Chance To Say That Last Year.

you Technically Were 34 Minutes Early. So That Doesnt Really Count.. Ahah Im Just Kidding.. But Hey U 2 Man..

Fail!!!! Lol Jk

Attachments

• fail+naked+powerline11214609064.jpg
    fail+naked+powerline11214609064.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 6

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats pretty disturbing RT.. haha

Edit! good thing we didnt see the front.. lol

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude. ouch, what happened there?

hey can I use dynamat AND jute? is there any reason I couldnt do both? where can I get a pre cut piece of this jute stuff.

JK, you got any bulk dynamat or jute laying around the shop you can sell?

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya you can lay both out.. umm precut jute?? maybe just a carpet place online will do it.. are u buying carpet too? bcuz when u buy carpet jute is usually already on it, then if u wanted to upgrade it you tell them and pay extra money for it.. that dynomat sh*t is expensive man.. maybe not for a truck cab, but for the hoes ya man your looking around 500 to 1000 bucks..

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ouch. man i gotta go out there and measure my exact footage. both doors, and the floor and rear of the cab up to the windows.

JK talked about some foam they sprayed up in their trucks, but I dont remember what it was called. I wonder if that stuff would fit the bill for me.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
dude. ouch, what happened there?

hey can I use dynamat AND jute? is there any reason I couldnt do both? where can I get a pre cut piece of this jute stuff.

JK, you got any bulk dynamat or jute laying around the shop you can sell?
Sorry bro, but I don't have any left, not enough that would be worth it anyway.
You can use both Dynamat and jute. That's what I did. I used the Dynamat to deaden the resonance and sympathetic vibration caused from the larger spans of sheetmetal, and the denseness of the jute to help insulate the interior from exterior noises.
Retail to do the entire truck (minus headliner) with Dynamat brand deadener will run upwards of $800-1K, if you install it yourself. The jute you can get in rolls at local auto upholstery shops.