OH NO. Coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJ4180

Reaction score
On my way to work at 11 pm with the windows down I notice the slight smell of antifreeze. Check temp guage and it was running normal. Didn't think much of it. But I made me aware as I kept lookin g at the temp guage. All of a sudden it went from about 1/3 all the way to the red line in a matter of seconds. I pulled over immediately and shut it off. When I got out I could hear something hissing and saw the smoke or steam . And saw the coolant all over the ground. I called for help and a friend showed up with water as I was only a few miles from my mechanic. I filled up the radiator and started it up to see if I could find the leak. Now while the engine was hot and scalding coolant everywhere I really couldn't get in there and really.check it out. What I did see was a steady leak coming from the drivers side of the engine bay what looked like right around where you fill the power steering fluid. I didn't see any hoses in the area though. I can't be 100% certain that's where it was. But it looked like fluid coming from there. Keep it mind I was on the interstate in the dark. I limped it to my mechanic and the temp didn't get that high again. When I got there it was just starting to creep above normal. Parked it and left it. Any idea what I'm looking at when I call him in the morning. Is there anything even in the area that would leak antifreeze? It's a 99 tahoe with the 350 engine. Thanks in advance

DJ4180

Reaction score
Update called him first thing this morning as he walked in the door. After explaining to him in detail what I explained here and without looking at it. He said possibly intake manifold gasket as these were noted for it but he wouldn't be sure until he cold look at it and diagnose it, which sadly won't be done until tomorrow morning. I'm almost afraid to ask what the intake gasket costs to repair as I've heard some horror stories with what seemed like outrageous prices. The way it was spraying had me thinking it was for sure a hose blew. But I will keep you updated as I find out more.

MO Viet Vet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be that. The corner of the intake is behind the p/s pump area. Shouldn't take too long to pressure test and pinpoint the leak. Why the tech needs 2 days to do that is beyond me. Typically just fill with water and pump up the tester and see. Like 5 minutes tops unless the leak is buried behind something that has to be removed.

DJ4180

Reaction score
Well he called me back first thing thus morniNG and told me it's definitely the intake manifold gasket. He said the part is about $50 and it will take him a day or two. I'm assuming this long simply because he is only one guy and has other things as well. So looks like I'm rocking the minivan for the weekend. He explained to me that the ac compressor has to come off along with pretty much everything on the top of the motor to get at this thing. I can't wait to get this bill when he calls me and says to come get it. Seems like alot of work

DJ4180

Reaction score
Thumbs up on gel pro. I read about it and he actually recommended to me spending the money on the good one or I would be doing this again in another 50k. My tahoe has 90k miles on it if it lasts as long as I've heard they can I don't wanna have to do this 5 more times. Haha