Oil Filter Doesnt Fit 97 Tahoe 5.7 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ta2ed Texan

Reaction score
Ok so I got a tahoe from some dude who blew up the motor. I have a motor from a 98 extended cab. I put the motor from the 98 ext cab into the 97 Tahoe. The problem is the oil filter comes into contact with the front drive shaft. The tahoe came with something that appears to be an oil cooler that allows the oil filter to mount sideways instead of verticly. The problem is I cant figure out how this device bolts on to the engine. So my question is, what oil filter are you 4 wheel drive tahoe owners using? I am sure there has to be someway. I mean the motor that was in the tahoe was a 350, the motor I put in the tahoe is a 350. They were both trucks and only a year apart, the only difference between the trucks is the 4 wheel drive. Im sure 4x4 tahoes with 350s are fairly common as it is a big vehicle. So anyone have any ideas? Is this oil cooler assembly a factory item? If so how can I find information on how to mount this thing? I have been working on this truck for 2 weeks in the rain and finaly the skies are clearing up and I can really get something done. Everything is wired up connected and ready to go...except there is no oil filter....or oil in the motor for that matter.
Thanks n advance

clkelley

Reaction score
I would go to the dealer and get the oil cooler delete kit that allows the filter to be mounteed vertically, unless you just want to keep the cooler. May be the easiest way to get you going.

Ta2ed Texan

Reaction score
well that is the problem. The filter is sposed to be mounted verticly on this motor. so I either need to find a shorter oil filter than the one I have cause it wont go on. The drive shaft gets in the way. I have a part that was attached with a wire to the bottom of the truck(the previous owners pulled the origional motor) the part has 2 hoses and attaches to the radiator, with this attachment the oil filter mounts sideways so it doesnt matter if the driveshaft is there or not. The current filter I have is about 3 inches too long to be mounted in the present spot vertical like. I just am not sure how this oil cooler thng mounts. I spent about half an hour under the truck lookin at everything really good. It looks like there are a couple of bolts on the current oil filter mount, and main bdy of the cooler looks to be about the same size as the thing that would come out once I removed those bolts. Im steady trying to look up information on the net....I cant find much, which is pathetic because I have a degree in information technology... most of that is finding information on networks. lol... aint that how it goes

clkelley

Reaction score
Gotcha, another option is an oil filter bypass unit. There is a link below to a single filter general use unit. Check out the link and if that looks like something you might want to look into let me know and I'll get specifics on pricing, etc for your application. (Lower than the online pricing, etc)

From the sounds of it though, a bypass system of some sort may be your best bet.

Click Here to take a look at the systems

Be sure to let me know before ordering anything to make sure you don't pay too much and that you get the exact right parts.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steal a remote oil filter unit and put it on, they are common on the 4.3l S10 4x4's....... IDK about the full size, but they use a PF52 also.....