Opinions Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97tahoe

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am looking at an '05 Tahoe with 50K miles. I will list the work that has been done on it (that was reported) and would like your opinion on if there seems to be any obvious red flags.

Haven't test driven vehicle yet but figured I'd ask the experts here so I might have more insight before taking the next step.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

10K miles-front differential output seals replaced
15k miles-back window weatherstripping replaced
19k miles rear door outer sealing replaced
28k miles-both front shock absorbers and steering intermediate shaft replaced
32k miles- rear window run channel replaced
32k miles- wiring/connector ext lighting replaced

Razorback58

Reaction score
I think that my first question would be why all of this had to be replaced and it only has 50,000 miles on it? My 02 has 96,000 plus and has never had anything done to it, other than me breaking the driver seat.

97tahoe

Reaction score
If I could contact the original owner that might be a possiblilty but now that the dealer has it I don't think I would get a straight answer.

BTW, the vehicle is GM certified which I know doesn't mean a whole lot but it seems only a small percentage of vehicles are certified after the original 3yr/36,000.

M.M. 700

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my front dif seal replaced last week. It has 43K on it. Shop said it was a Chevy thing.

As for the rest. I would not be concered, especially if it it was a one owner car. Maybe the previous owner was picky.

tnezukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be a little hesitant about that dude. I just bought an 05 yukon and all that was done was the digital onstar upgrade and a tail light bulb. Sounds to me like it was in an accident or maybe a theft recovery.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could also look at it this way:

Since those things were replaced, they will most likely not go bad again. :smilielol:

97tahoe

Reaction score
Yeah MM and Renagade I agree. Then the pessimist in me starts thinking the same as TNE. I guess you really never know with used cars right!?! I mean one that has never had anything done might be a good sign or a sign of neglect.

The last Tahoe I purchased "97 in "99 I didn't check any history and it has been great! Still have it with 200K and just minor repairs so who knows????

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Post Or PM me the VIN (if you have it) and i wil run a car fax for you. I have an account thats unlimited for the next month.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt be concerned with the stuff that was replaced. i would be concerned if there were some re-occuring issues with the truck. the run channel issue is a common problem. i know of 3 cars that have had the run channel replaced or have had a complaint. the intermediate shaft is a very common probelem. i had my water pump, trans pan gasket, intermed. shaft, rear trailing arms and a a/c hose all replaced right before my warrenty was up. (06 kon with close to 35k when work was perfomed) i was lucky and was able to get on gm's website and read up bulleitns on the truck.i basically diagnosed the truck ( im a auto tech) and took it in the dealership and told them what was wrong. i was being very picky, so maybe the guy who had the truck before was also picky? who knows, but like i said, dont be concened.

97tahoe

Reaction score
I already looked it up on Carfax and no problems (while under warranty) It had regular oil change/tire rotation at dealer, one owner, but thanks for the offer!

Yeah I would like to think it was just a picky owner but I guess its just normal to worry right?? It is selling for about $1500 less than the majority of other Tahoes in the same year/price/mileage so again, being a pesimist I think its because there is something wrong with it.

I know the market is poor right now and I have seen prices drop but I just dont want to buy a lemon and have something major go wrong that isnt covered under the certified warranty.

Who knows, in the end I think I will just test drive it and if it feels right I'll jump in feet first.