Over ABS "Perisitant" fool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sookeyukon

Reaction score
Well..in my "other" thread I thought I had my ABS nightmare figured out :nonod: Yes, I was a fool and spent $300 clams on new wheel sensors. (guess I won't have to worry about them for a while). Yes perhaps at this point in the game it's my EBCM, however being retired I have more time then cash to pick at it a bit longer before I hang myself. :ack:

Anyways..for any of you who claims they have a ABS/Brake intermittant indication, here's some work-on tips before you run out and spend some cash!

Problem: Both ABS/Brake light indications come on "anytime" IE on the go or at idle. (foot off brake or on brake makes no differance). When ever I re-started veh...indications are cleared until next cycle. Have "no" pump running sound......as yet anyways!

What "I" know: ABS indication only perhaps means:
ABS Light: IE Bad hubs, Sensors, Wire shorts/Connections and EBCM failure.

Brake Light: Low fluid, E Brake on, Brake "system" failure.

What I don't know When both are on....which one is priority..IE A Brake problem shuts down the ABS or a ABS (EBCM) problem informs of a brake problem lighting that indication :confused2:

What I have done!
1. Checked 60A fuse and cleaned...also brake fuse.
2. Cleaned Hub surface and installed "new" sensors...lights will even come on when parked at idle after 5 min or so.....so I would think it has nothing to do with the wheel end.. IE bad hubs, bad tune ring!
3. Broke & cleaned all contectors including: EBCM, Pump, Sensors.
4. Cleaned,Grinded & re-installed all frame grounds including: L Front bumper to battery, firewall to block, EBCM ground and rear body ground by gas tank.
5. Checked brake fluid res and sensor.
6. Looking for shorts to get lights "on" I Rattled the "piss" out of all wires but my own :smilielol:
7. Checked all brake lights and bulbs... (why not did every other thing)

Therefore...I'm runing out of ideas. I was going to buy a Tech 2 reader..however they don't read any ABS codes (if any)..(go figure). :skep:

So "anyways" in a small package if someone has a problem..you could try a few tips as stated.....unless your in the same boat as me.......EBCM????????????? I'm just sure even with a code if "I" bought one it still wouldn't be the problem....(that's my luck)...yeh, I know....just pull the fuse and forget it even happened.

Anything to "add" just let me know.....CHEERS, Jim

Virginia Donkey

Reaction score
I will throw this out here, it's just a thought....

Doesn't make sense that the ABS and the BRAKE light are on together, the systems aren't related. Possibly there is nothing wrong with your ABS or your brakes and that it is an electrical gremlin in the instrument cluster.

I have not seen your other thread, so I don't know what your your truck is. I know the '03+ trucks have issues with the instrument clusters...speedo, gauges....

sookeyukon

Reaction score
I will throw this out here, it's just a thought....

Doesn't make sense that the ABS and the BRAKE light are on together, the systems aren't related. Possibly there is nothing wrong with your ABS or your brakes and that it is an electrical gremlin in the instrument cluster.

I have not seen your other thread, so I don't know what your your truck is. I know the '03+ trucks have issues with the instrument clusters...speedo, gauges....

Good Point Virgina Donkey, :thumbsup: Mines a 01 Yukon.
Something I will investigate on the web. They say that when the ABS system is working correctly and the indication light is on, there will be no ABS activation...therefore, the next time it comes on I could see if I can get the ABS to activate on grass or something. (Unless of course, even a cluster gremlin will disable the system) Many sites "state" not to get a EBCM for just soft faults. Thanks agian.

Last edited:

sookeyukon

Reaction score
UPDATE "Fixed"

Well, I ended up chasing down my "own" fault! :crazy:

After going over all my ABS grounds/connections today and still having no luck with the intermittant ABS/Brake indications, I decieded to re-investigated my "new" wheel sensors/wires. I felt around and had noticed that my RT Front sensor wire had been rubbing on the inner rim and was shorting..(not a good thing):rolleyes:

Reason: Sensor wire hold downs, different size.

I went to GM and they wanted to sell me "only" the sensors with hubs for about 900.00 Can, which I felt wasn't required and a rip-off, therefore I decided to get replacement sensors by Ray Bestso for 260.00. Although theses are the same length sensor, connections etc...the hold downs for them onto the caliper was .5 inch differance which I didn't notice. I can only think the reason being is that their universal for a few different years. Other then that...I think I kinda got this ABS stuff cased:appl:

NEVER :kap:

littleflyer

Reaction score
Damn- My 01 tahoe has the same exact problem.

BOTH lights turn on and OFF together every time..

They come on and go off when ever they want..... It could be days and nothing then it will do it everytime you start her up. Stopped, at 80 mph, idle etc...

I thought it was the sensors and got down there and scrubbed and cleanned them up... nothing. NO CHANGE.

I'll check the wiring this weekend!!!

SWEET!!! THANKS!!!!!

Sirsly714

Reaction score
Damn- My 01 tahoe has the same exact problem.

BOTH lights turn on and OFF together every time..

They come on and go off when ever they want..... It could be days and nothing then it will do it everytime you start her up. Stopped, at 80 mph, idle etc...

I thought it was the sensors and got down there and scrubbed and cleanned them up... nothing. NO CHANGE.

I'll check the wiring this weekend!!!

SWEET!!! THANKS!!!!!
Hi im having same problem 2001 tahoe tryed everything, how did you make out with your truck