Painting the frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about painting the frame on the tahoe sometime soon and was wondering what you used to do if you have done it

Beef

Reaction score
Are you planing on taking the body off??

I heard of some people using that spray on bed liner, but that stuff is really messy and you would have to be care full of where and what you spray....

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope not taking the body off just looking something to make it look better

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Either way, scrape of as much debris as you can. Powerwash the frame as best you can to remove debris and grease. I would use POR15 as somewhat a base. Then I would paint with rustoleum paint.

I mean, if youre not going to show the truck, why go all excessive?

John Redcorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm borrowing my brothers 6hp power washer this weekend for something else but this sounds like a good idea. I think I'll give it a try too. I'm gonna be kinda ghetto though, just rattle-canning the parts you can see under the doors mainly and maybe the rear axle and stuff.

there's probably about a hundred pounds of dried stuck mud up under there too if I need a real legitimate reason or justification to put it on stands for the powerwasher.

I always have a can of black bbq grill paint around for painting exhaust and brake stuff. it's a little low though and this might take a can or two.

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i had mine on a lift a few weeks back i was thinkin i should get some sand paper and paint certain areas. oddly enough, its pretty clean under there for bein 10 years old. i would do what sepiroth said and POR15 it and paint it with rustoleum. youd be amazed what rustoleum can do. Honda ppl will paint their cars with the stuff.:crazy:

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine is as clean as it can be under it the only reason i am going to paint it is to make it looks better the guy that put the transmission in for me told me that mine was about the cleanest underneath that he had ever seen that was 10 years old. It will probably be a most of the day thing when i do it

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:smilielol: i will if it is not raining i am probably going to do it this weekend i will post before and afters

corvhoe7795

Reaction score
My dad's been doing this for years, power washing and rattle can black spray paint on the cars that weren't his junkers. He's found over the years he likes gloss black instead of flat. The flat turns gray and will look dirty again. He buys his gloss black cheap, on sale or at Dollar stores and stocks up with about 25 to 30 cans and sprays everything. Keep it clean underneath and touch up after the winters salt. It always worked for him.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh i hate you for bringing this up. i made a thread awhile ago about it, but i plan on doing body off resto... i used por15 like last summer and it held up "alrite" but yet now you can start to see rust like run down it.. like the brown color.. if using por15, DoNOT get it on bolts and nuts. it builds up to much and is such a pain in the ass to get that bolt going.. i learned that the hard way.. make sure u sand it down as much as possible. painting over like grooved rust looks like Doo Doo.. its like ridged obviously.. But maybe u have me thinking about it too, maybe ill do something temporary before the actual body off.. thanks again! hahah

PS i used 2 quarts of por15 when i sprayed it.. spraying is alot easier too..

corvhoe7795

Reaction score
I was going to say that Por15 is expensive and it's only paint ya know. Hey, paint is paint that's what my dad's been telling me for years. And surface rust or rust is rust, ya can't never stop it, you can only slow it down. He has a 79 Blazer he bought new, still has it and the underside and frame has no rust. Well, some little areas here and there, but it looks great for a 30 year old.

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i believe when i bought the quart it was 45bucks each.... I have an 86 mercury capri with Absolutely not a spec of rust on it : ) had the factory undercoat it and it was down in florida for 24 yrs then its been in storage since..

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used that hammercoat brush on from rustolium you can paint it over rust and lasts

to. i painted the rear axle ,the brake plates,leaf springs and the frame that shows
black and the rear sway bar silver and other small parts under the rear.

it don't look right driving and showing all that rust to people behind you.

also keep them wheel wells clean to.

YukonRidin23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my paint was lookin like it it needed a fresh coat on my frame aswell. i just took some reustoleum, a power washer. i pressure washed the frame, got all the chunked up stuff off, and hit it with the can, looks great, but might take more than one coat. mine has lasted for atleast 4 months with no problem so far, great results too!

992door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used that hammercoat brush on from rustolium you can paint it over rust and lasts

to. i painted the rear axle ,the brake plates,leaf springs and the frame that shows
black and the rear sway bar silver and other small parts under the rear.

it don't look right driving and showing all that rust to people behind you.

also keep them wheel wells clean to.

i will be painting most of that cant paint the rear sway bar because i dont have one. all of it will be one color though and that is black

corvhoe7795

Reaction score
Yep, having everything black underneath including the wheels wells black makes the vehicles color and other details stand out more. Not to mention, the underside has better protection.